Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 1979 CM400T. After a bit of riding, I noticed that there was some ticking/knocking coming from the engine and after research I came to conclusion that I should try adjusting the valves to address the problem. Upon opening, I used the feeler gauge and none of the valves had enough clearance for the required specs for the valves. I adjusted them all properly triple checked with the feeler gauges and closed it all back up putting everything back together. I then started the bike but instantaneously I noticed the ticking was a bit sharper and faster but also, a white smoke started to come out of the exhaust pipes and a bad smell was coming from the bike. I immediately shut off the bike, took off the cover to inspect the valves, everything seemed to be in order. But I am still worried the sharper/faster ticking and the bad smell.
Any advice will help, as I am new to motorcycles and have very little to no knowledge other than what I research and watch.
Thank you!

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
The appropriate question here is:
Did you have the crankshaft properly oriented (indexed) for each cylinder when you reset the valve clearances for that cylinder, and was the engine stone cold for this procedure?.....

Countdown : 25 to go.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The appropriate question here is: Did you have the crankshaft properly oriented (indexed) for each cylinder when you reset the valve clearances for that cylinder, and was the engine stone cold?
If by that you mean turning the fly wheel to the T, then that's what I did. With that I made sure that the side I was working on had some play to it where as when i checked the other side it did not. Yes the engine was cold when I did this work. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge haha

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
There are two occurrences of the "T" alignment during a cylinders four strokes...Were you on the compression stroke "T" alignment for the cylinder you were adjusting?....
If you are unsure please phone....540-525-5199....

24 to go

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are two occurrences of the "T" alignment during a cylinders four strokes...Were you on the compression stroke "T" alignment for the cylinder you were adjusting?....
If you are unsure please phone....540-525-5199....

24 to go
I am unsure if I did, If I didn't, would i just have to go back and adjust the valves on the compression stroke making sure its not an exhaust stroke? Or would I be facing some new damage?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
PLEASE Phone... My screen on flip phone is black and can't read texts.....
Sunday after 1:00 PM is fine, not available Monday at all.....

21 to go.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts