Honda Twins banner

Do you own and regularly use a smart phone?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sensei
27,015 Posts
Still hanging on to my "flip-Phone" although I did try a smart phone and didn't like it.....;)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have a phone to call AAA if I have car trouble. I dont give out the number and the only ones who have it are family members. That being said I can see that it is essential for just about everything we do today.

Bill

·
Administrator
13,062 Posts
I use a smart phone every day, many times a day. No need for a camera anymore as pretty much any decent smart phone takes really good pictures and since it's with you wherever you go, you can get pictures of things that you come across - unusual bikes, like a CL360 with less than 1000 miles on it in downtown Seattle in 2010, or a marvelous sunset - right on the spot. All the pictures of my 450 build, all pictures taken at Barber during 2 separate years' visits, all my vacation pictures and so many others simply taken with my phone while there... and it doesn't hurt to have information at your fingertips too, along with other useful stuff like a compass, calculator and flashlight. And if you're not a big data user, you can take advantage of Consumer Cellular's excellent rates and really get by inexpensively. My wife and I both have smart phones, share 3 Gb of data and unlimited talk/text for $52 a month for both. It's a no-brainer to me

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
I bought one a few years back mainly for security when out riding my bike (in case of breakdown or mishap). I ride alone so find it good for peace of mind when riding. I have some offline maps loaded on it just in case I need to look up where something is but this is quite rare (hard to get lost where I live :)). Like Tom said, the cameras on newer phones are great and I'm finding that it probably accounts for 90% of my usage with the phone. I always have it in the garage to take photos when taking something apart, they are then uploaded automatically to the cloud so I can access them later on my PC. Invaluable when putting it all back together.

I'm thinking that if I never rode or worked on bikes then I wouldn't really have much use for one though. I don't give the number out, only family have it, so it rarely gets used as a phone :p

·
Registered
194 Posts
My wife and I both have iphones, and use them everyday. They are older models - we don't give in to the hysteria of having to have the latest expensive models. We wouldn't know how to use half the features anyway! I was fine without having a smart phone for years, but since I need to get email for my work, a cheap smartphone makes sense for me. I too use the camera on mine a lot. In the garage, on vacation, or just out on the road, I love the convenience of always having it. Truthfully, we probably text more than make calls. Most of the time I don't need to speak to someone right away, so shooting them a text and having them get back to me at their convenience works well. I also send photos with texts quite frequently. We signed up with Ting years ago. They use the Sprint network so nationwide coverage is very good. With both of our smartphones our bill is usually in the $40 a month neighborhood - we only pay for what we need. Last vacation the lake house we stayed at didn't have internet, so we used more data that week. The bill that month went up to $55. :eek:

·
Registered
710 Posts
I got rid of my phone a couple years ago and it was the best technology decision I've made. I had been bothered by the fact that I had lived the vast majority of my life without the need to have 24/7 contact and with smart phones came the expectation that I would jump to it's beckoning. Smart phone's, in my opinion, make the nothings of life important, all those things that serve to waste our lives are blared 24/7 from that little box and we are expected to jump.

I have a camera for pictures, a computer for the internet and a phone at the house with an answering machine. I control my time once again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I enjoy having a virtually unlimited tap of information in my pocket wherever I go. And having an okay camera at all times is nice, though as a professional photographer I'm just as often frustrated by the limitations that come with phone cameras.

·
Administrator
13,062 Posts
Just as a PS to what I posted earlier, all the pictures I posted here from both of my Barber trips were taken with the phone and posted by way of using my smart phone as a wifi hotspot for my laptop since Barber is too big to have wifi available.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
One direct benefit to having a smart phone where my motorcycle is concerned, I have a readily available GPS navigation system. Trying to find your way in unfamiliar territory on a motorcycle without GPS navigation is challenging at best and at worse just plain dangerous.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I've only ever posted on HT on a smart phone ( all 4750 of them), I've never owned a personal computer.
I don't have a social media profile , no FB , Twitter or instagram.
I think the issues are less the tech more the application
A smartphone puts a lot of power in your pocket, I don't even carry a wallet most of the time since I pay for things with my phone ,but if you let it it will suck your life away

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hard for me to be objective, I have an iPhone, two IPads, a MacBook, ChromeBook, two laptops, gave away a Mac....

Note.... all provided by work.

Due to the phone, I don’t wear a watch anymore, use the camera a fair amount.

I still view myself as a Luddite with a lot of things though... hey, I’m on here aren’t I and I also have a Royal Enfield Bullet :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts