Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened the cover on the right side of the engine to check the oil filter and clutch. I find small pieces of hard plastic (I`m guessing) in the bottom of the lid. Is there anyone who can imagine where this comes from? I tried the magnetic but nothing connected to it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
It could be the rubber/plastic rings that surround the sprockets on the cam shafts. They often break apart on these motors.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that something I need to handle immediately? I mean can it cause more harm if I put it on hold and continue to use the bike?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
It's something that you will need to look for inside the engine and take the broken bits out before they block an oil passage.
You do not need to replace them as they will again break after some time. In fact I would inspect both cam shafts and remove them if there are any still there.

It's number 3 in this diagram

Attachments

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much :) Haven`t decide what to do with this engine. Was planning to ride it next season and then do what necessary.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'd guess you need to remove the bottom cover, too. Doing so without inverting the engine is tricky, but inverting it can make any loose pieces scatter into the upper parts, like the piston cavities and transmission. Those aren't hard to check out, but just more work with a bright light.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will dismantle oil pump and clutch. Maybe I`ll discover something more?

·
Registered
77 Posts
just to back up what these guys are saying, I would put money on it being the damper rings.
I have a motor apart currently that sat for 30 years and there were pieces all through the motor.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found more rubber / plastic particles when I examined the lower part of the engine block. Fearing that it may come from cam chain rollers. I have decided that the engine must out of frame, opened and examined further.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You where right, the right one was totally gone the left one partly. I have decided to split the engine because I find more issues. Ie the bolts on the flywheel/starterclutch. two loose and worn down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts