Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Well, I made one of those, too. It worked, sorta, but....

The one I made used a fairly short hose and the little boxes of baking soda you get at the supermarket. It was kinda cumbersome. Refinements will be a longer hose, and maybe a larger bulk supply of soda to siphon from.

Also, since soda isn't really abrasive, it doesn't strip much in the way of corrosion - it does some, but if it's that heavy white powdery corrosion you get on aluminum that's been sitting around for a few years, it didn't do much there. What it does do is remove grease and dirt really well and it leaves a pretty nice finish on the aluminum. But then, Gunk Engine Degreaser does, too, although Gunk is messier/more toxic to the environment.

And when I was done, I looked like the Pillsbury Doughboy - covered in white powder. :lol: Maybe if I did it in the blast cabinet... How many little boxes of baking soda do you suppose that'd take?

Here's a thread where I've documented some blast cleaning experimenting I've done:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=618&start=10

·
Registered
608 Posts
hope you were wearing a respirator, soda in the lungs is not good

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Well, not a respirator, but a dust mask for the minute or two I was experimenting. And a cheapie Harbor Freight blasting hood to keep it out of your face/hair.

But, you're right, if I were doing it for real on a complete bike or engine, you'd definitely want a respirator.

:D

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Commercial soda medium is slightly more abrasive than the "cooking" soda you used, but the "white powder" is actually aluminum oxides and like iron "rust" leaves a "divot" behind when removed...I think it did a fairly good job for a box of Arm & Hammer.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I haven't tried this yet....but It just looked so good I couldn't help but post it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.