Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other day after about 30 min cruise, I stopped to meet up with my bud at Tim Horton's for a cup of coffee. As we were admiring his new exhaust on his iron 883, I noticed a small oil leak on my bike. It was coming from the bolt on the bottom of bike. I check oil level and away we went. I rode anther 100+km at around 80 kph. When I got home I put a cardboard under bike. After 2 hours no leak. No leak overnight.
Next day I moved the bike to driveway for cleaning. Just a quick start to drive thru grass. Small leak again. I drove for 3 days now and no leaks at work or in the parking spot. I looked over bike and I don't see any leaks. How do I find the leak?
I heard baby power?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
This sounds like a heavy seepage problem where oil is slowly working it's way past a seal or gasket and pooling until there's enough to actually drip. Tough to find since it's so slow. I'd clean everything accessible on the engine, particularly in and around the oil filter cover. Wipe it all down with a paper towel before riding and after as well paying close attention to where you pickup any sign of oil on the paper towel. Baby powder won't work well in this case since the bike has to be ridden.
I'm guessing that the oil filter cover O-ring ir the bolt O-ring is seeping.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At work but just to clarify the leak is dripping from a bolt that is between the crankcase and back of bike, it is at an angle, not the oil filter bolt or oil bolt. I will see if i can trace leak or take a pic. I looked out the window and no leak atm, bike been sitting for 3 hours.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
OK, this could be blow back. Oil leakage up front and blowing back on the case until it pools. Or may be something else. Still a case of clean and wipe repeatedly until the source is narrowed down

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave it a good cleaning. So far no leaks at all. I will keep eye on it, see if anything changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.