Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I do believe this is the drain screw? Both carbs are leaking from this area. IT's a very slow drip, just enough that this morning there was moisture on the top of the engine. I wouldn't have noticed it had i not smelled gas when I went out to the garage this morning. I tightened the one on the right side carb but that didn't seem to correct the situation. The one on the left carb actually seems to be seized. Any ideas? I never tried to remove them when I cleaned the carbs so I don't know why they would be leaking.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
There's a little orange gasket on that drain screw - usually included with a "carb kit"......
Or is it a metal washer?? Can't remember, no time to check right now.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
tbpmusic said:
There's a little orange gasket on that drain screw - usually included with a "carb kit"......
Or is it a metal washer?? Can't remember, no time to check right now.
I think it used to be an orange paper type of gasket but the newer kits from Sirrius and other come with an aluminum gasket (at least they did with my kit). The problem is that you can not get just the gasket from the dealer. I tried some "O" rings and that seemed to work ok, just make sure you size them correctly.

I found the easiest way was to make my own from a quality gasket material available from the auto parts store.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any particular o-ring material? I'm an airsmith so I've got all kinds of buna and urethane o-rings but I'll be honest, I have no idea if they'll stand up to fuel. Some chemicals swell them or cause them to deteriorate.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
J. Thompson #5150 said:
Any particular o-ring material? I'm an airsmith so I've got all kinds of buna and urethane o-rings but I'll be honest, I have no idea if they'll stand up to fuel. Some chemicals swell them or cause them to deteriorate.
Like you, I'm familiar a little with the aviation stuff but in this case I just used whatever I had laying around to see if it would work. As far as "how long" it will work that's not something I've looked at. I hear that 'O' ring material made of Viton is probably the best you can find, otherwise a stock jet 'O' ring that's about the right size should be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts