Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here's one. I just got my wife's K7 going again, and the speedometer takes awhile to reach the actual speed I'm travelling. It is also slow to return to zero. I'm not sure if its entirely accurate when it comes up to speed, but its in the ballpark at least.

Anybody have a fix?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Honest Don said:
ok, here's one. I just got my wife's K7 going again, and the speedometer takes awhile to reach the actual speed I'm travelling. It is also slow to return to zero. I'm not sure if its entirely accurate when it comes up to speed, but its in the ballpark at least.

Anybody have a fix?
I pulled an old one apart last week and I could feel how sluggish the needle was reacting just by moving it with my finger. I wasn't going to use it so I didn't play with it, but I think a drop of very light oil on the bushing were the indicator shaft spins might do the trick. Getting one apart is easy enough but putting them back together can be tricky.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've gone through several speedometers on a 500T. They start to howl and I put another one on. The current one, an E-bay "works perfectly" special, has a checkered and warped face. The needle sticks (on the warped face) around 60 mph and comes loose after a few bumps at a slower speed, but the odo works. No howling, anyway. Someday I'll have an orgy of instrument rebuilding. until then, I know what speed my tach reading translates to in third and fourth gears. The screws in the face of the tach have worked loose, so it's only a matter of time 'til the face is free to rotate; by that time, I'll know the needle position well enough that I won't need the numbers. Old bikes are just so much more interesting than new ones where everything works...

·
Registered
608 Posts
don't worry about a speedometer, the cops will tell you if you're going to fast......

the way a speedometer works is the cable drives a cup next to a magnet attached to a spring on a shaft that the needle mounts to, there is no direct connection between cable and needle, so as MNellis said to fix it you will probably have to take it apart but before you do try this,
take it off the bike and set it in the sun face down for a couple hours then spin it up using a drill (might have to make something to act as a cable end) might need a reverible drill too, spin it while it's upside down, sideways, upright a couple of times and see if it works any better

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys! I took it on a nice long ride this afternoon/evening, making as much use of the gauge as I could ;), and it seems to be clearing up on its own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts