Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm finally getting my CL 175 back together and went to mount the carbs today and hit a snag. The insulating blocks (between the intake manifold and head) are beveled with L and R markings but no up or down markings. Through trial and error, I think I got it right but am looking for confirmation. I have them oriented so that the carbs are in a more level position. When I got this bike the carbs were completely detached from the engine and cables and all their associated parts were in a box. The FSM (PDF file) is no help whatsoever.

The FSM also has drawings of carbs (and either lousy photos or no photos) that do not resemble mine. I found the number 20 stamped on a small flat on each, very near the intake manifold mounting flange which makes me think these are the PW-20 carbs, but I've yet to find any specific drawing or photo in the FSM of the carbs I have, so I could use some help with that. I do believe these are the original carbs that came with the bike- I can't imagine the PO would have replaced them. What markings should I look for and where on the carb body to determine which carbs I have? I recall measuring the venturi diameter previously and found it to be 22mm...

(I just edited the clutch assy. question out after looking at the Cmsnl schematic. I can't imagine , after seeing their image, that I could get that wrong.)

Unrelated but downright annoying is why I keep getting dropped (which requires logging in again) between the time of my first log-in and the moment I try to preview or post a thread or comment after typing it. Dang...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm finally getting my CL 175 back together and went to mount the carbs today and hit a snag. The insulating blocks (between the intake manifold and head) are beveled with L and R markings but no up or down markings. Through trial and error, I think I got it right but am looking for confirmation. I have them oriented so that the carbs are in a more level position. When I got this bike the carbs were completely detached from the engine and cables and all their associated parts were in a box. The FSM (PDF file) is no help whatsoever.

The FSM also has drawings of carbs (and either lousy photos or no photos) that do not resemble mine. I found the number 20 stamped on a small flat on each, very near the intake manifold mounting flange which makes me think these are the PW-20 carbs, but I've yet to find any specific drawing or photo in the FSM of the carbs I have, so I could use some help with that. I do believe these are the original carbs that came with the bike- I can't imagine the PO would have replaced them. What markings should I look for and where on the carb body to determine which carbs I have? I recall measuring the venturi diameter previously and found it to be 22mm...

(I just edited the clutch assy. question out after looking at the Cmsnl schematic. I can't imagine , after seeing their image, that I could get that wrong.)

Unrelated but downright annoying is why I keep getting dropped (which requires logging in again) between the time of my first log-in and the moment I try to preview or post a thread or comment after typing it. Dang...
Post pics.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
160 carbs are stamped 20, the manifolds are beveled to line the carbs up with the air cleaners.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take some pics tmrw after I remove them. I haven't finished replacing the paper with Uni foam yet so I'm unable to try to fit the airboxes just yet. I'll try to contact the PO to see if he ever replaced the carbs, but I'm not too keen about sourcing another pair and wonder if I even need them.

I noticed that the insulators seem to look a lot better when the fatter side of the bevel is on top.

But, I got it started! It only ran for a couple of seconds (WFO with the slides bottomed out- that puzzles me) with starting fluid but ... Yahoo! For some reason it's not picking up fuel through the carb so I'll do some research tonight before I go through them again and will install the airboxes before I try to start it again; I have a feeling they need to be installed for it to run.

I have many things to sort out before I can think about riding it, like getting a usable throttle tube and cable, and fuel tap, for starters, and other pieces/parts and the left side exhaust pipe is partially broken at the mounting flange end. I had two guys look at it in hopes of having it and some other spots on the whole exhaust system tig welded, but one shrugged and said, in so many words, "no problem" while the other said he wouldn't even want to try- the condition of the remaining flange and the thinwall stuff had him concerned with doing it economically. I'm tempted to replace it with one that doesn't need to be repaired but there's only one on Ebay that comes close to fitting in my budget. I may stuff something in there for now and put off making that decision for now.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
when you log in, be sure to check the "remember me" box... I know it isn't usually a component of staying logged into a website, but it is here. You can walk away all day and still be logged in later when you come back if you check the box every time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts