Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Need some insight on cause and how to fix. Bump starting is not for me.
Do I (as others have told me) have to take the engine out of the frame, flip it over and remove the lower crankcase?
If so, what then? Any particular parts I should keep my eye out for?
Thanks!
JohnP

bike has 6400 miles and is in very nice shape otherwise
SL175 kicker.JPG

·
Registered
234 Posts
I hope somebody can help you with this. Do you know if your clutch is slipping?
My clutch starts to slip bad at around 6000 rpm and it got worse with the new oil and after I disassembled the clutch and sanded the plates a little. I noticed that sometimes there was no resistance in the kickstarter. What worries me is that the bike started in a split second with the button when the kickstarter had no resistance. I'll know if new clutch plates solves the problem when I get them, I'll get back.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Though the fiche at cmsnl.com is not definitive, the mechanism is inside the crankcase so it appears to me you'd have to pull the engine and go into the bottom end to do the repair. IIRC, the SL175 does not have primary kickstart, therefore it drives the crankshaft through the clutch - but if the clutch was slipping badly enough that the kickstart wouldn't work, the clutch would slip too much for the bike to be very rideable at all. I haven't touched a 175 bottom end in over 45 years so I'm not much help in the way of what parts to expect would have excessive wear

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Worth pointing out that the SL175 kickstart mechanism is different to the usual CB/CL/CD 175 (and 200 ) mechanisms.

And of course, the SL doesn't have an electric start.

CB et all have a gear that slides along a spiral, the SL has a 'ratchet mechanism', whatever that is. Looks as though the entire assemblies should be interchangeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts