Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cl450k5 has a slipping clutch, (it's adjusted properly) mostly I notice it when in high load situations and when I shift under brisk acceleration. I use motorcycle specific castrol gtx.

The questions are:
average price for new disks, and if anyone has some laying around can they measure the overall diameter width of tabs, number of tabs, inside diameter and diameter at the root of the tabs.

has anyone used the barnet kits that pop up on ebay?

My clutch effort is very light, am I just a supreme bad ass or could my springs need replacing as well :lol: any thoughts on how to measure the springs? where to get new ones/ better product?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
almost forgot, it has about 20,000 miles

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
ihatespeed said:
So my cl450k5 has a slipping clutch, (it's adjusted properly) mostly I notice it when in high load situations and when I shift under brisk acceleration. I use motorcycle specific castrol gtx.
This might be a stupid question but are you sure that your Castrol GTX is motorcycle specific? I can't find it among Castrols motorcycle oils and if it is a car specific oil it has friction reducing additives that can make your clutch slip.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Not to mention is it synthetic??? If so that'll make it slip as well...

These bikes like dinosaur blood..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Clutch Slippers
As to Barnett clutches they are great for not slipping. But I found that they liked to stick. Part of the maintenance on my long gone CB450 was to take the clutch out and wash it in kerosene when it got sticky.
I would take the clutch apart and clean the disks. If all looks OK I would try stiffer springs before I spent the money for a Barnett clutch.
I have used energy saving synthetic automotive oil in my Yamaha with no problems.
TomC in Ohio

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is 10-40 4t Castrol non synthetic, I misspoke with the GTX, the bottle is the same shape and color.. http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiong ... Id=7040925

so not an oil issue (pretty sure) Does anyone have a source for stiffer springs? I'd be game for that with a good cleaning and spec check for the plates.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stiffer springs? anyone? Bueller? Or are stock Honda springs in my future?
TIA
Greg

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The Barnett kits should come with springs from what I remember... Other than that, I'm not sure there are any stiffer springs available by themselves for the 450, anywhere...?

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
You could always add a washer to pre-compress (stiffen) the springs... Note that it must be such that it does NOT "sit" on top of the "post",(larger center hole) it must allow the original washer to sit there in its original position.....I put mine at the bottom of the spring "cup" under the springs........

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as I have found the Barnett kits only come with the friction and steel disks, no springs, ordered one today from ebay, 125 shipped. guess I'll get some new Honda springs and try the shim trick I'm pretty sure there is something flaky going on just based on how light my clutch action is, perhaps it has some warped disks, or just really weak / incorrect springs

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
BTW... Don't overdo the shimming, the springs still need adaquate room to compress or you'll need a gorilla-grip to squeeze the clutch lever in.....I'd try just new springs first....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
M3 racing sells a set of stiffer springs for $20 so looks like that will be the ticket along with the new clutch.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually never got a reply from m3 on the springs, must have gotten lost in the shufle or perhaps got blocked or junked by email. I subsequently bought stock ones from honda, and installed them with my barnet clutch. the new set up works very well. the old spings were just past the wear limit (short) and probably weak. the new clutch stack is a little bit shorter, thinner friction, maybe 2mm overall, I did not bother adding an extra washer under the spring, but I did consider it.. the old clutch looked pretty decent, not too glazed, burnt or worn, and I could not perceive any warped disks, but I did not have a proper flat surface to measure on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts