Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man am I torn on this battery thing. Dime city says lithium is the best (if and only if of course you have a lithium charger, which I have lying around from my luthium RC cars), my mechanic says Gel is best because of it's cold crank superiority and low charge safety (AGM gets ruined when it starts to die quicker) and this blog seems to favor AGM's all day. I'm looking at the Antigravity 4 cell VS the Mottobat 4 amp 12V. Ones huge and yellow, ones tiny and black. Hmmm...

So I'm building a '68 cb350, whats the best battery for the stock charging system on this particular bike? Does anyone have experience with all three? Please help - THANKS! - Joshua

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Option 1 – Antigravity 4 cell AG-401
Pros: ion lithium smallest, lightest
Cons: bike MUST put out between 13.3v and 13.5 v

Option 2 – Shorai LFX-14A5BS12
Pros: ion lithium small and light. Also wicks off exess voltage
Cons: bike MUST put out between 13.8 – 14.4 volts

still looking for the right agm if i can find a small one to make a box under the swing arm for. any help would be great. Thank you in advance - Joshua

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Let's answer one of your first questions first.....
The stock system is designed to run on and keep a 12V 12Ah battery properly charged when the lighting is on approximately 50% of the riding time.....
This generally no longer applies as MOST states require lights on 100% of the time.....
Changes such as eliminating the electric starter or turn signals, or changing to LED lights, etc. reduce the wattage necessary to run the bike, so, the first thing you NEED to do is figure what the demand from the components you will actually be running is....Then get a battery capable of supplying that demand for at least an hour without any recharge...Then modify the alternator output and the regulators "control" range to suit the battery you choose, so it remains fully charged at a rate it can accept and without having excessive voltage or amperage applied to it......Ideally, the charging SYSTEM should be balanced to BOTH the specifications of the battery and the amounts of energy required to run the bike......Which should ALSO match....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks a bunch. Gonna go test the system , flush it out. I think I'm gonna take the plunge and change out the stator, rec and reg etc to match the battery exactly. There's a lot of great info on here about how to do that so I'll digress. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
The stock Alternator is 110 watts. If you reduce any of the lighting load, you have enough output to keep the battery charged and run thing with the stock alternator.

However, the regulator is stock 15.0 Volts +/- 0.5 volts. For the 13.5 volt lithium, too much...

Sonreir (Sparckmoto) has a regulator/rectifier that is regulated not to exceed 13.7 volts. He did this for those insisting on a Lithium battery.

Get his regulator for a lithium battery. they work very well, and are reasonably priced. I helped him test them ....I am using his regulator on my bike (but not a lithium)

AGM batteries are longer lasting than lithium. My CB750 has a Yuasa AGM battery that I installed in the beginning of the 2007 riding season. It is 7 years old and still working well.$89 when I bought it. My CB360 has a CHEAP Batteries Plus ($27) lead acid battery now on it's third season. It has 12.6 Volts (perfect ) standing, still in great shape.

Batteries last a long time when taken care of....you drop a lead acid down to 10V, it is dead, but will take a recharge, and have a little less capacity. Drop a Lithium battery to 10V, and shop for a new one. The lithium battery offers light weight, small size, high output, but is relatively fragile to over and under voltage. they do not recover from a mistake like the more conventional ones.

you can choose whatever chemistry floats your boat or powers your bike. Just be well informed. Read the FAQ's carefully. Especially what to do if the voltage drops too low or gets too high....

Here's a battery that was having a little issue:

Here's another:

What I did come across is the Battery Tender Brand Battery with built in charging circuit...might be worth it...

http://batterytender.com/products/batteries/lithium-iron-phosphate-battery-lifepo4-la-eq-7-9.html

It has a 3 year warranty and more deep cycle ability then the others....Not recommending it, just providing reasonable options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts