Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dealing with a slight miss at around 4k to 5k rpm, and I'm seeking some help here. It's not a bad mis-fire, but it's driving me nuts, that I can't figure it out.

My 72 CB350 has always ran amazing. Recently after a ride with my vintage bike club, she starting missing really bad when I was only about a mile away from my home. Popped off the points cover and the right side points were really sparking - I knew it was the condenser. I replaced it and the bike still has this small miss. It starts right up, idles, and will accelerate up to 6500 rpm no problem (under these conditions I can't hear the miss). But, when I just level it off and cruise at 4k to 5k rpm there is a small miss, that was never there before. Tried cleaning up the points with no luck. Replaced the spark plugs. Replaced the points with genuine Honda points, gapped them at .014, and set the timing per the manual. No change.
Battery resting voltage is 13.0v.
Any ideas? Should I experiment with point gaps? I still have room to decrease the gaps, but I don't want to go too narrow for fear of heating up the coils.

• 3 years ago I replaced the coils
  • New R/R combo unit from Sparck-Moto.
  • New Motobatt battery.
  • Valves are adjusted.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm dealing with a slight miss at around 4k to 5k rpm, and I'm seeking some help here. It's not a bad mis-fire, but it's driving me nuts, that I can't figure it out.

My 72 CB350 has always ran amazing. Recently after a ride with my vintage bike club, she starting missing really bad when I was only about a mile away from my home. Popped off the points cover and the right side points were really sparking - I knew it was the condenser. I replaced it and the bike still has this small miss. It starts right up, idles, and will accelerate up to 6500 rpm no problem (under these conditions I can't hear the miss). But, when I just level it off and cruise at 4k to 5k rpm there is a small miss, that was never there before. Tried cleaning up the points with no luck. Replaced the spark plugs. Replaced the points with genuine Honda points, gapped them at .014, and set the timing per the manual. No change.
Battery resting voltage is 13.0v.
Any ideas? Should I experiment with point gaps? I still have room to decrease the gaps, but I don't want to go too narrow for fear of heating up the coils.

• 3 years ago I replaced the coils
  • New R/R combo unit from Sparck-Moto.
  • New Motobatt battery.
  • Valves are adjusted.
Hello, if you have not replaced spark plug caps, they can cause problems. Most OE type NGK caps are resistor types. Only cost a few dollars each. Ebay search can locate NGK NON-Resistor caps, if you don't mind static on your radio. Cheap, quick, easy fix.
Good Luck, HondaJohn

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hello, if you have not replaced spark plug caps, they can cause problems. Most OE type NGK caps are resistor types. Only cost a few dollars each. Ebay search can locate NGK NON-Resistor caps, if you don't mind static on your radio. Cheap, quick, easy fix.
Good Luck, HondaJohn
Hello, new NON resistor NGK plug caps are "LZFH" (stock no) 8371. About $3 to $5 each.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I replaced the coils I bought OEM caps from my local Honda dealer - yes they were still available (not very cheap either) - I am somewhat of a purist. So, they are original resistor caps and I'm running the original non-resistor plugs.
Should I use the non-resistor NGK caps with the current non-resistor plugs?
(I understand the reasoning behind "resistor" caps or plugs, to eliminate radio interference).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts