Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i have a 72 CL175 that i rebuilt. carbs were ultrasonic cleaned....and cleaned again. yet, for some reason, the left carb body will not allow either of the slides to operate freely. i have never seen anything like this before.
-the bore is clean and free of damage, as is the slides.
-i personally think that the little plastic alignment chingadera that rides in the groove of the slide is the culprit. but i lack the measurement devices required to tell for sure.

has this happened to anyone before? i can't imagine how a carb bore can swell all of a sudden, and i'd rather not put wet/sand paper down the bore to remove material.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
hello, i have a 72 CL175 that i rebuilt. carbs were ultrasonic cleaned....and cleaned again. yet, for some reason, the left carb body will not allow either of the slides to operate freely. i have never seen anything like this before.
-the bore is clean and free of damage, as is the slides.
-i personally think that the little plastic alignment chingadera that rides in the groove of the slide is the culprit. but i lack the measurement devices required to tell for sure.

has this happened to anyone before? i can't imagine how a carb bore can swell all of a sudden, and i'd rather not put wet/sand paper down the bore to remove material.

You probably have the manifold/carb mounting nuts tightened unevenly. It actually deforms the carb body enough to jam the slide.
This has been reported before, it can be a little fiddly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU!!!

it free'd up enough to clank to the bottom of the bore!
however,it does still stick.
i think i am going to line the bore with machinist blue, run the slide through the bore once and inspect for the offending spot.
once located, harrass it briefly with 2k wet/sand and pb blaster.... any objections to this or other tips?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU!!!

it free'd up enough to clank to the bottom of the bore!
however,it does still stick.
i think i am going to line the bore with machinist blue, run the slide through the bore once and inspect for the offending spot.
once located, harrass it briefly with 2k wet/sand and pb blaster.... any objections to this or other tips?
That may not be required.
The nuts are in a really awkward location, they're a pain to tighten.
Just tighten one side a little, then the other, then back and forth until they're snug. Do not over-tighten.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had this same exact problem this last weekend when I took off the carbs to clean them. I twist the throttle on my way out every morning and they have seemed to correct themselves after a few days, possibly because of the weather and the screws settling in. Has happened quite a few times and is very annoying!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts