Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Dead in the water here. After sitting a week she wont start (and it has always started on the second or third kick). I tried the old trick of pulling the plugs and grounding it against the engine to check for spark... nothing on either coil.

With the key switch on and the kill switch on, I get 12.4 VDC to (black wire with white tracer) and through (yellow and blue wire) the coils, but only when I measure using the negative battery terminal as ground. I get 0 VDC when I use the engine as a ground.

I cleaned the neutral switch and checked the connection (green wire with red tracer) and confirmed the bulb is good but still no neutral light (which just grounds the circuit to the engine when in neutral as I understand it). Seems the common denominator is that I've lost my ground connection to the engine. Looking at the schematic it is not clear to me where that connection is made. Any advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Dumb question ,did you clean the neg cable at the battery and where it connects to the frame? Also you might run a ground wire from the motor to the battery ground and see what happens.

Bill H

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I don't think it has a ground cable to the frame/engine(kick start only), adding one is a good idea.

Reactions: txplants

·
Registered
586 Posts
Mike's right - it doesn't. Negative only connects back into the loom . . .

. . . and +1 on adding a grounding cable to the frame. Give that a go.

Reactions: txplants

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did check the negative terminal. All is well. The lights are working which pick up their ground in the headlight bucket as far as I know.

I'm definitely going to add a ground from the negative terminal to the frame, maybe to the engine too. I'll report back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts