Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i have just got my SL going after sitting in the shed for about 30 years.(the bike i mean, not me). after dismantling and rebuilding ignition,clutch,carbies etc, she fired up after a couple of kicks and adjusted carbies to idle. sounded smooth, but noticed RH exhaust pipe was still only warm, and realised it was only running on LH side. i pulled the plug lead off the plug and soon found out it had spark, and when i rested the lead just off the plug so the spark had to jump, the RH cylinder fired up. had to re-adjust the idle and it sounded great. remembered then what it used to sound like. but when i push the plug lead back onto the plug it stops firing. take it off and it fires again, and when it is revved up it backfires and pops from the RH cylinder. inspecting the points while it is running on both pots and there is good spark on LH but no visible spark on RH, but when the RH points are shorted, the cylinder dies.
any clues as to the problem would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Gary.
ps. will post photos tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
That plug sounds like it's gas-fouled, time for a new one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
swapped the plugs over....still the same. re-timed the ignition as per the workshop manual and everything checked out in spec... still the same. I then came across the “Sticky” article on tuning a twin cylinder. Basically 4 steps, and it is now running as it should. thankyou to Steve who i believe posted the thread previously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi gazzweld, after tuning it in accordance with the article on tuning a twin cylinder, what do you think your problem was? Also, I tried to find the article but had no luck. Any chance you can post a link to it? Thanks much. Kevin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi Kevin, the article is a Sticky, at the start of the electrical section for 350’s. it may just have been coincidence that it was running better, because after the next run it started missing and farting and after i had turned it off, i was checking the battery connections and smoke started leaking from one of the coils. so after getting new coils, condensers, points, plugs and plug lead caps, all seems good. have been on a couple of short runs and it’s still good, so i guess the previous intermittent faults were due to the old electrics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts