Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, after introducing myself last year I have spent a bit of time on here looking at all the excellent projects and advice freely given to others.
Well anyway, I guess its about time i made a start on a little project I picked up last year. It has sat for a bit at the back of my garage as not had the time and space to make much of a start.
Finally I have taken the plunge and for what its worth, thought i would try and document it, including all the mistakes im bound to make, and avail myself of the evident expertise available on here.

So here goes with what is my first restoration.

Its an SL350k2 in Marina blue I believe, picked it up in the UK from a dealer who regularly brings US bikes over to the UK.
Bought it blind, trusting the description from said reputable source. Yes i know, first big mistake, I've never ever bought a bike like this before and always viewed in person......

Anyway, known issues were shared and a box of parts arrived with the bike.
Once ensconced in the garage i go through the paperwork and find its already been added to the Nova data base here, previously imported to the uk and not directly from my seller as thought. No matter, will need help getting a dating certificate to register over here but that's a way off yet as need to get it up and running with MOT for the UK licencing.

So from the picture it looks kind of ok, a bit tatty and used you might say. It has a patched clutch case and a broken gear change spline. Second hand clutch case and new gear linkage included in the box of bits.
Its also running some non standard silencers which will be swapped for the correct pipes.
Tank is battered with dents and poor paint but lovely and shiny on the inside. Surprisingly clean.

Seat has an awful cover on it which is going.

The plan was to go for a respray of the Tank, side panels which came with the bike (pattern parts and unsprayed, Oh and the headlight shell. Looking to bring back to life and make it look loved again and enjoyed. Not going show stopper but want it to look nice.
New i was going to have to get my hands dirty and figured that it would probably need a top end freshen up and maybe even a rebore.
Plan to get the shiny bits re-chromed etc.

All good so far, two pictures showing how it looked when it arrived.

Starting to strip down so more to follow shortly...... SL350K2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a great read the - chauffeur, I may need some of your uk contacts for when I come to do the rebuild as like yours - mines similar mileage - just looks like all of them were off road

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, so a productive evening in the garage and a lighter bike but heavier box of assorted Honda Parts.
Going to need time to work through these to work out what can be reused and what I can add to shopping list.
Not sure about sealed beam headlights though...... cant seem to find anything suitable.

The plan was to restore to 'as standard' as possible but given general scarcity of parts it may become a non standard street scrambler at this rate.

Wiring loom off and worse than anticipated, going to need to make a replacement which will be interesting given i've never done it before..... its only wires right, how hard can it be ........

rock hard wires inside the handle bars make for a lot of fun removing as the bars will need to be re-chromed too and new switches fitted.

Anyway pic attached of partial strip down.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Member sonreip can help with the wire and connections. Try blowing a strong string thru the handle bars to pull the new wire thru the bar when ready to reinstall.

I will probably catch some flack from the following but here goes. I have rewired several bikes that where fire damaged or wiring torn out for one reason or another. I dont always follow the original dia. Just make sure you log all changes and your own dia so it can be repaired by you or the next owner if needed. I log the color, where it starts , where it goes and what its for. Anyway it works for me.

Bill

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's one heckuva hole there! Unfortunately, the clutch cover is unique to the SL350, it does not interchange with it's CB and CL cousins...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks pops, luckily I got a second hand spare in the box of parts that came with it - so it's not all doom and gloom ;0)
Will need a good polish though and the thinking vapour blast the way to go...

·
Registered
572 Posts
The sealed beam headlights are a bit of a pain in the arse to get hold of now. I've got a similar situation with the CA77, which has the even-harder-to-find square sealed unit. Frankly, it's one of the bits that's best modified because if you do it right, the fix will be invisible to anyone who doesn't have access to the headlight bucket, and it'll allow you to choose your own bulbs.

Basically, the modification involves cutting the original bulb out with a hole cutter on a drill from the back side and replacing the dead bulb with one of these sockets. There's several guides on YouTube called things like sealed beam headlight conversion/fix - they'll give you the general idea. Of course I now can't find the best one which is where the guy doing it doesn't remove the original bulb first; instead, he uses a hole cutter with a centring(?) bit to go straight through the middle (if you do what I did and pull the old bulb out first, it's much harder to centre the cutter). There's a bit more to it than that, but you should get the idea.

On the subject of electrics, the wiring looms on these bikes are crazy simple. Without stuff like indicators, they've only got three or four circuits. As for getting them into and out of handlebars, pour WD40 into them (the handlebars, obvs.). And for anything rubber - including those rock hard ignition coil leads, get yourself some Wintergreen and isopropyl alcohol - see the video in the long thread about rubber restoration for more details. Trust me, it works amazingly well.

And I dunno if my angles are right, but could that hole in the sidecover have been caused by something external slamming the brake pedal sideways?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for that - seems less daunting when info shared like this, much appreciated.
Re the hole, I think you have a point, the current brake pedal looks rather shiny so probably not original ....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Cool.

If the hole was caused by a hit from the outside, it could mean the bike was dropped on the right side. Check the sweep of the forks from left to right and have a look at the steering lock stops on the yoke/frame. Hopefully you'll be fine, but the steering set-up is one of those things that can get damaged in falls and the effects aren't obvious. I've seen bikes that have had yoke stops snapped off before, which pretty much allows the forks to turn almost back as far as the frame.

Most folks don't notice something's not right until they find they can pull the handlebars further to the right (or the left) or worse, the 'bars connect with the tank on the side the bike went down . . .

Incidentally, the pictures at the top of the thread suggest most of the bike's control cables are intact if a little scruffy. If you don't want to spend a fortune on new ones (the rear brake cable is a pig to find - last time I got a repro it cost me fifty quid) and you're not too worried about originality, you can do a lot with the old ones for cheap. If they're stuck, chances are it'll be rust, so chuck them in a bucket of Hammerite rust remover, Evap-o-Rust or similar and leave 'em for a week. Once they're freed, flush some WD40 or similar through them, and then cover the outer sleeves with grey heatshrink. If you do all of them, it's quite surprising how good they end up looking and it's fully reversible. Unless your bike is standing next to another with factory correct wires, you'll be hard pushed to know any different. That's what I'm doing with my CA77 until I can find someone flogging good quality originals for a reasonable amount . . .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Again, great info thanks :0) unlikely to park next to another here in the uk, didn't know they existed until i saw this one....
All cables off now so will work through everything while tank away being painted etc.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts