Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a complete rebuild, I've put about 50 miles on my SL350 kick-only engine. Haven't had any issues until today. Went to kick start it and it fired up normally. Then I noticed the kick lever was turned about 180 degrees wrong. Now the kick won't engage at all.

I've consulted the shop manual and Steve and still can't figure out what went wrong or what I need to do.

I disassembled most of the stuff under the clutch cover to get a better look at the kick mechanism. The kick shaft gear will come right up to the idle gear but the kick shaft stops rotating before it can engage the gear.

Before I pull the engine and open the bottom end up, does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing happening?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The SL350 has a primary kick starter, you should be able to access the parts without splitting the cases.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like a tooth from the idler gear broke off and got caught back there. Now to fish it out...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sourcing an unbroken idler gear is going to be fun.

I'm not sure I understand your question phil. Do you mean was the electric start eliminated? Besides the first model, SL350 engines are kick-only with a unique bottom end from the CB and CL engines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts