Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Just getting started on a new sl350 project. Kinda cool, it's got the original dealer sticker on the side cover (immediately cracked apart) and the same plate from 1985. Got it in the garage and started wrenching the best I could. No key so can't test if I have spark and can't get into the gas tank. Took off carbs, opened up the side cover to check out the internals, and started to try to take off the top end. Ordered all new cables, gaskets, pipes, side covers, chain, carb kit, and key. Will update once I get the key and can dive in a little deeper. Hoping to get it drivable within a month or so. Definitely going to need new tires and tubes. Definitely going to need a lot of work but we'll see where we get
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Auto part Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Font Fashion accessory Logo Drum Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system
Helmet Automotive tire Motor vehicle Aircraft Rotorcraft

Attachments

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another update on the project! Starting to get some parts in and making progress slowly. Had a decent night of wrenching last night and more to come soon. Changing out the bars for something more flat and had a hell of a time pulling out the wiring harness. Added quite a bit oil to loosen things up and pulled with a pair of needle nose pliers. That did the trick! Got a great tank off a cb360 coming, picture added. Cables all showed up and added some marvel mystery oil to the case and cylinders to get things sloshed up a bit. Good night of wrenching especially with some John Lee hooker playing in the background. Spending the day with the lady today and more wrenching tomorrow. Just got my keys and a few other things in the mail so I'll be able to check if I have spark tomorrow and do some diagnostics. After that, just waiting on carb kits and I'll be able to see if she wants to fire up!

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that a Moroni v twin ?

Hi jmack,
Those battle scarres add character...

Pity about the side panel but it will glue, red testors plastic glue maybe ?

That bike shop still going ?

Bike been in hibernation ?

I am sure your are aware that stuff sticks on bikes in hibernation, just take your time.

Head off, engine out which you know......

Hare and tourtoiuse, never race the clock, enjoy.
Never heard of a moroni v twin. You'll have to educate me a bit. Pretty sure the bike shop is out of business though but super cool it still has the sticker! Side panel completely fell apart when removed, but I've thought about dremeling out the sticker and adding it to the new panels I have coming. Bike seems to have been sitting for quite a while though. Seems like almost everything is original (even the air filter foam which crumbled right off) but the important stuff is fairly well intact which is nice. Replacing a few things like ignition coils, switches, etc even though they work. I reckon the parts are cheap enough and would rather not have to deal with small things breaking down 30 miles from home. Definitely thought about honing and throwing new pistons and rings (especially since the bike had no pipes when I bought it) but I was able to get a look at the cylinders and there's no rust and things look pretty clean (surprisingly). You can even see clean, defined cross hatching. My plan of attack right now is make sure my valve clearance is within spec and see how she runs. If the bike smokes a lot or is burning a lot of oil, time for a new top end. Compression feels really good too so I'm feeling optimistic for once haha. Should have all the parts I need to get it running here within the next few days so hopefully will post another update soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts