Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my old fork tubes with new ones from Franks and have a question on the bottom of the old tubes. There is a screwed in insert in the bottom of the tube where the oil lock piece fits in on the old tubes. I am not sure if this is a one piece insert or two piece. The end of this insert is notched on both sides. The tube end where the notches line up with appear to have been dinged in on purpose on both tubes so the inserts won't come loose on their own. Is this how it came from the factory or is this something a p/o has done? Is this something I should do on the new tubes when these inserts are re-installed? Thanks in advance - dave DSC02457.JPG DSC02458.JPG DSC02459.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
do the Frank tubes have the insert or a fitting to accept one?
I can't recall that piece on the K2s I've worked on. the K1s don't have that (I just checked on one in the garage)

it is common for Honda to have peened over things like that so my guess is that it came that way from the factory.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Outobie, thanks for the response, the ones from Franks are threaded and look like they are made to accept the insert, the problem I see in removing these is to get them out the peened areas have to be forced back and in doing so the threads (which are in the peened area) will probably be damaged making removal of the insert difficult and possibly damaging the threading on the insert. I have straightened the area somewhat but will have to find a tool that will fit in the notches to attempt removal. Also I am not sure but the insert may be in two pieces, the outer notched ring and a longer (1 1/2") inner section. The Franks tubes are threaded inside to about the same depth as the end of the inserts. I also have not been able to find any parts diagrams that include the inserts on them.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
for peened over parts the procedure for removal is to drill out the section of the part that's peened...find a drill bit about the width of the notch in the inner part and drill out the peened over part of the outer fork tube. after drilling you may also need to take a punch and flair out the edges to make sure they don't mess up the threads.

as for the removal of the inner part, you can buy an adjustable pin spanner from Motion Pro or what I do is to make crown sockets from an old socket that's the same outer diameter as the inner part..

just grind away the part of the socket with just the two crowns sticking up that fit into those notches,.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, outobie, sounds like a good way to go, I'm sure I can find a willing socket to make the sacrifice.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, latest wrinkle in the insert removal. I used my dremel and have removed almost all of the openings on the end of the tube. However I have a feeling that in the factory assembly process the inserts were put in, the openings were peened, and it appears the ends of the tubes were crimped. I think I may have to have the tubes cut above the inserts and try to remove them from above DSC02462.JPG DSC02463.JPG DSC02465.JPG or cut the tube up the side. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
You could always take tube to bench grinder and remove the lip

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I doubt they were crimped. That just looks like a chamfer or bevel on the outside of the tube. More likely, the inserts are just in there very tight. I had a similar situation when I replaced the fork tubes on my Triumph. I gave up and took them to a shop. They laughed and had the small pieces off in less than two minutes (mine threaded onto the outside of the tube). The way they did it was to clamp the old tube in the jaws of their lathe to get a good grip on it. They had a tool like the socket that outobie recommended, and used it on a rattle gun (air impact wrench). One quick burp did the job. I told them that since they had done such a good job, they were welcome to install the pieces in the new tubes, which they did.

Ray

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
an impact gun on that socket sounds like a good idea to me.

also you may want to add some heat to the mix with a little MAP gas torch on the outside tube

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will definitely be trying the socket, impact gun and heat. I have a spare oil filter socket and the tabs line up pretty good, they are just a little bigger than the openings in the insert so I will grind a little off and give that a try. I'll let you know how it turns out. Again, thanks for the input, these little surprises that come up can be frustrating and having others to bounce these problems off definitely helps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I am pleased to announce success. I took the oil filter socket and cut two of the tabs off and then ground off a little from the sides of the two remaining tabs to fit into the slots on the insert. Using a hammer drill they broke free with no damage. DSC02475.JPG
After removing the top part of the insert there is a smooth sided section (1 1/2") which has a tabbed insert on the top side (this tabbed insert rests on a shoulder inside the smooth sided section with the tabs facing out). There is a washer which sits between the top side of the smooth sided insert and a shoulder inside the fork tube. DSC02478.JPG DSC02480.JPG DSC02482.JPG DSC02486.JPG I then cleaned the inside of the new tubes and all the insert parts and reinstalled them into the tubes. I snugged up the threaded insert part but did not peen the rim yet because I am going to pick up some loctite for this part. DSC02487.JPG DSC02488.JPG DSC02489.JPG DSC02490.JPG DSC02492.JPG
Just one more small step in a long journey....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts