Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of restoring an SL350 K2 and need to know if anyone knows the best way to get the satin/brushed aluminum finish look on the fenders. In doing some web research I have come across ways including sand paper, scotchbrite pads, and even applying oven cleaner. I am not sure what Honda did to get the original finish whether it was a finishing technique or a product that was applied to the surface. I have worked the fenders quite a bit to get the gouges and scratches out and they have become very shiny in the process. Thanks - Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally I like the Scotchbright Pad method of finishing the aluminum pieces. It provides a "graining" of the surface without adding deep scratches. Used the color (grade) that suits the final result. I've tested some small areas with the gray pad and like the result. The key is long strokes and even pressure. If they are already too shiny, a little graining with a red pad lightly followed by the gray.
Good luck and post some pictures of your progress. I will be starting on mine in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
I use 000 steel wool

first polish to almost mirror finish, then steel wool, being careful to only go in one direction

it is more subtle than scotchbright or sandpaper and closer to factory in my opinion. then I clear coat

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, I think I will give the steel wool a try first and see how that turns out. I'll take some before and after shots and post them later.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to try to post a few photos, here goes

DSC02264.JPG
DSC02268.JPG
2012-07-29_20-29-15_575.jpg
The rear fender has not been touched yet, the front had alot of gouges and scratches in it and I buffed it until I got those out, still has some very small dings in it, hope those will not be visible when I am done.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That looks very nice. You've got a good specimen there to fully restore!

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
K1 is painted aluminum
K2 is not painted aluminum

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to let everybody know I am still working on the fender, I actually did the gray scotchbrite followed by the steel wool, believe it is pretty close. Question for Outobie, when you clear coat did you use regular or satin clear, I am leaning towards satin due to a couple of spots that are chipped on the rear fender the clear almost has a slight tint to it, was thinking this might be a satin affect. I will post some photos when I get ready to spray it. thanks - dave

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
outobie, been awhile since I posted on the fender, to update after buffing the fender to try to get the defects out the best I could it looked pretty good when it was the shiny finish, but after doing the scotchbrite treatment and getting it real close to the original look I find the very small dings left in the fender are much more noticeable than when it was shiny for some reason. I have a couple of spare k1 fenders that do not have any defects and want to verify that the k1 fender will finish off the same as the k2. thanks - dave WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
what do you mean finish off same as K2...I don't quite follow you

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, more clearly stated just wanted to make sure the k1 and k2 are interchangeable and if I strip the k1 fender that the same finish can be obtained. WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Well Honda has different part numbers for them (312 vs 340 for the middle triplet) but I'll be damned if I can tell them apart. if they are different then both my bikes have the same year rear fender on them. I have a K1 and K2 in the shop and side by side I can't tell one from the other except for color.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, they look exactly the same to me but before I put the time into refinishing the k1 fender to the k2 finish I just wanted a second opinion from someone with a little more experience, appreciate it - Dave WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Speaking of "finishes" I've seen fork ears on an SL350 both painted black and chrome as well as the rear taillight housing. Does anyone know if this is a year specific option?
View attachment 55398
K1 forks are 33mm and have the black headlight ears
K2 forks are 35mm and have the chrome headlight ears.

black and chrome headlight ears are NOT interchangeable
tail lights are different but interchangeable

1 - 16 of 16 Posts