Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with my horn going off as soon as i put wires together instead of working with the button. From the horn I have wires running to the horn button and ignition switch. From the button, I have wired it to the negative battery hookup as well. Im working on a 1972 sl350 k2, the horn button is on the right handlebar assembly with the hi/lo beam and kill switch. Any ideas?

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
You need a power supply wire to the horn, and the switch wired so pressing the button connects the wire from the horn to ground, but that connection is "normally" open.....
A schematic or wire list from your aftermarket unit would be helpful to sort this out......Pics as well if possible....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a power supply wire to the horn, and the switch wired so pressing the button connects the wire from the horn to ground, but that connection is "normally" open.....
A schematic or wire list from your aftermarket unit would be helpful to sort this out......Pics as well if possible....
When I run a power supply straight to my horn it immediately goes off.... There are only two connectors on the horn, the wiring diagram of the sl350 suggests I run one to the button and the other to the ignition switch. From the button it says one to power supply and the other to the horn (three wires total) The horn button itself is on the right handlerbar switch assembly with hi/lo beam and killswitch, it is an OEM part. Im new to all this, so youll have to explain connecting the button wire from the horn to ground a little further

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Let's start over....Is it the stock Honda horn..... If YES, proceed....
Connect ONLY the black wire (power) to the mounted horn.....Does it sound?.....IF YES, it's a permanently grounded type horn....Replace with a bike horn.....IF NO, proceed.....
With the black wire still connected, does the horn sound if you ground the other terminal or wire (should be light green) to the frame?....If YES, proceed.....
Now that we have verified it's the correct horn and working correctly, we can look to the switching.....
The stock SL switch has two wires to the horn button (located on the LEFT handlebar control unit) They are light green (mint green) and dark green (Forest green).
The mint green goes to the horn, the dark green goes to the harness ground buss, also dark green wires.....
IF this isn't what you have, Phone me....I suspect you have an incorrect switch unit...Pics might help...540-525-5199.....Steve

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
err, uhh, that is a RH switch pod. The horn button is on the LEFT HAND switch pod. The button on the RH pod is the electric starter button!

By the way, Steve's horn troubleshooting paragraph above is about as good and concise as you will find anywhere!

Ray

p.s. Your Nikko horn is probably workable. It might not be real loud, but it should be the proper setup. You should still check it as he described.

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
If you WANT to use the "starter button" as he horn button, it isn't a problem....
Black from bike's main harness to horn.... wire from other horn terminal connects to the Yellow with red stripe wire from the handlebar switch unit...Handlebars MUST be grounded....DONE...
There IS a ground link for the handlebars (which are rubber mounted by the risers)that is often forgotton/misplaced/overlooked......
Phone if you'd like....540-525-5199....Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts