Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My situation concerns the fact that I have a SL350K2 rolling frame and a CL350 engine. Now, I am aware that the SL head has different porting along with a different cam for more torque (also has non-CV carbs). My questions are : #1 Would getting an SL cam and putting it in the CL head be worth the effort? #2 Or would the SL head be needed to make it worth the effort? I can get the cam for $20. This bike will be built for messing around in the woods (up and down hills too) and never see any "road time", while I have it.

Opinions? Comments?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess I'm destined to get my opinions elsewhere. No Problem. ;)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I read your post Bill, but you already know how smart I am when it comes to these old bikes.. :?

Figured I'd just clam up, as I did'nt have anything constructive to offer..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Bill, Same here...Figured I'd let those who knew answer..... The SL is one of my weak areas as I never owned a complete one.....Steve

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry guys, I didn't realize. Guess, as I learn things about them, I'll post them (if you all would like) and then there will be info for others who might need it. ;)

I knew there were some differences between the SL and the CB/CLs but I did not realize just how much And I'm not even through learning the all the differences yet. :roll:

I have about decided that I'll just leave the CL engine stock internally, for now. I'm going to get to the point to where I can put the CL engine in the SL frame and see whether I need to be concerned with the part of the upper crankcase, that the electric starter goes into, or not.

This:

VS This:

Considering that the SL350K2 didn't have the electric starter and the frame had been redesigned for the K1 (and the electric starter had been dropped), I don't think there would be room anyway. There is an SL upper case on ebay, but with a $45 dollar price tag (unless I can talk them down some :roll: ).

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
bill440cars said:
Guess, as I learn things about them, I'll post them (if you all would like) and then there will be info for others who might need it. ;)
Sounds good to me Bill! Who knows when one of us will come across a deal on one of these?? ;)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
bill440cars said:
Guess, as I learn things about them, I'll post them (if you all would like) and then there will be info for others who might need it. ;)
Sounds good to me Bill! Who knows when one of us will come across a deal on one of these?? ;)

Yeah, you never know what the future holds. :) For example, I had a 71' SL350 some years ago and was wishing (not too long ago) that I still had it or could get another one. As luck would have it, a buddy did some swapping and ended up with one (along with several in various stages of disrepair). He went over the one that was running, ended up trading it off and did a deal with me and I ended up with most of an SL350K0 (in pieces) and a couple of SL350K2s (one w/o the engine) and also got a CL350engine in the deal. I had found an SL (72') upper crankcase half and thought I could get it and replace the CL upper case half with it, but after doing some part number checking (along with looking at pictures of the bolt hole alignment) realized that I'll have to have the lower case half as well (if I don't try to cut the protrusion (for mounting the electric starter) off of the upper case half and fill it in. Not sure how I'll proceed from here.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
To be honest, i was never enamoured of the SL350.
I thought they were way too heavy, underpowered, and too darned tall.
Of course, I had come from an Observed Trials and Road Racing background, so my ideas of what a bike should be were a bit skewed, likely.

Now the XL's were a different story (love 'dem thumpers).....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tbpmusic said:
To be honest, i was never enamoured of the SL350.
I thought they were way too heavy, underpowered, and too darned tall.
Of course, I had come from an Observed Trials and Road Racing background, so my ideas of what a bike should be were a bit skewed, likely.

Now the XL's were a different story (love 'dem thumpers).....

Just shows you how different folks have different ideas about things. When the CB/CL350s came out, I was running my 66' CB72 250 Hawk and I wouldn't hardly even look at a 350 because I felt like the CB72/77 was the way to go, unless you wanted bigger and then the 450 was there for that. I ean against a CL350 on a dirt track over there in Japan at Misawa AFB and could pretty well hold my own against that 350. And then.....the SL350 came out! Now, I didn't get to get me one until some years later. I felt good about the XL250 AND the XL350 also, but never had the chance to even ride one of those. Now don't throw rocks at me, but while in Japan, I road tested a new DT1 Yamaha Enduro and that was one sweet riding bike.
Smooth riding, in rough conditions and good power. Just couldn't afford one without getting rid of my Honda.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Funny thing Bill, I've got an old Yamaha CT3 (175) behind the shed that's mostly complete. Brother (or little sister?) to the DT250 enduro. I was gonna restore it and started buying NOS parts for it. Bought NOS head, piston, charging coils, etc. Then I just stopped. It only has around 3500 miles on it with a clean title, and apparently had a lean seizure. I don't know why I've kept her, but she has been handy for the odd fastener or two.. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts