Honda Twins banner

SL350 engine not fitting CB350 frame

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Yendor 
#1 ·
I have a fully rebuilt SL350 K1 engine and a 1969 CB350 frame. From everything I read the engine should fit into the frame as easily as the CB engine. I've been wrestling with the engine/frame for about 2 hours now and have made almost no progress. I've got it sitting as it should be but I can't get more than 2 mounts to line up. Am I wasting my time trying to make these fit together or am I just going about it wrong?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
In the past I've been able to use a large screwdriver and mallet to help align the mounting holes. This is the first time I've had this much trouble. Maybe I need to find something more tapered. I can get the hole/mount to line up pretty close.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I just had a thought..

When I rebuilt the transmission, I bought a different LOWER engine case from a SL350 because the one the motor came with had some damage. Is it possible that the transmission is from a different kick-only SL350 engine that won't fit into the CB350 frame?

I wouldn't have thought this would be an issue, but I can't get more than 2 mounts to line up at a time, and even then it's a struggle.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Got it! I tried just about every combination of mounting bolt order before getting it. I think I wound up going with the front 2, then the bottom rear, then the top head bracket, then the top rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.