Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now at the point where I'm putting the top sections back onto the engine, and I seem to have run into an issue that I hadn't foreseen - the camchain has remarkably little slack in it to the point where I can't find a way to reinstall the cam sprocket without putting into the chain loop with only the cylinders in place, and then passing it upwards through the two top sections and gaskets. There also seems very little wiggle room once the chain is on the sprocket with which to align the lower and upper timing marks . . .

Does that sound right? I'd've thought there would be enough chain to lift it up 'n' over the sprocket (whilst the camshaft is out), but I just can't find the room.

And don't talk to me about installing the end caps (to maintain tension), winding the engine backwards 90 deg, uninstalling the caps and only then attempting to install the rockers. I don't recall reading all of those instructions in the manuals . . .

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Fraid to say, thats how I had to do mine. That is, of course, after you've torqued the head down!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mart

Can't say I'm particularly comfortable with that way of doing things, but at least now I know I'm not alone.

Am I right in thinking the reference to torquing the head down refers to the point after which the tensioner should be set . . . ?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I would guess so cos I did. I tend to set tensioner after I have checked cam timing about 5 times, always ensuring front run is the 'tight' one. ie. only rotating engine in direction of rotation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts