Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Newbie here, had a quick question regarding exhaust collars.

Here's the situation. I have a 1970 SL350, it came with a non-factory 2-to-1 exhaust. I am trying to install a set of CL350 pipes on it. The flare at the header end of the exhaust that came with it is about 1/2"-3/4" thick. The flared lip end of the CL exhaust is only about an 1/8".

So when I tighten the exhaust flange all the way down the pipe is still loose cause the exhaust collars are now too short to fully seat the pipe.

Looking at pics of CB/CL/SL pipes and I cant seem to find a rythm or reason, some have the thicker end, some have the thin end. My question is does anyone know/have a part number for the longer ones?
I came up with 18233-286-000 but dont know if it's the shorter or longer ones. I found 18233-310-000 as an exhaust collar for the SL but it has two lips on it so not sure if it will work.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Ya that is the part number that I keep coming up with so I'm assuming that's the shorter exhaust collar.

My son has a 73 cb350 with the reinforced header end and has the same shorter collars.

That other part number I listed is the only other variation I can find. But it has a different design to it and I cant tell if it's any longer anyway. Its for a stock SL350 pipe, which in pictures appears to have a slight flare to the pipe just before the reinforced end so I really dont think it would work.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
The LINK I posted will take you directly to the CMNSL Page for the CL350 K0 parts listings.
Did you go there?

I acquired a set of early CL pipes and ordered the Longer Split Collar Sleeve and they sent me the right parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check it out, but the part number is the same as the shorter more common one, so I just assumed it was the wrong one.

But you're saying they know on their end that I will need the longer ones because I'm ordering a part for an early model CL exhaust and even though it shows the same part number they will ship the right ones?

Little nervous about ordering them cause its $34 for 4 of them but almost $28 to ship the darn things. Hate to have to do that twice if they dont send the right ones.

On a side note I talked to a shop today that said they could just cut the ends off both sets of pipes and weld the thicker reinforced ends on to the CL pipes. Would only cost $30. They are going to be wrapped anyway. See any downsides to this approach?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link! Visually comparing the collars I have to the pictures it looks like they are indeed longer. Ordered the first ones. Should be here Monday! Hope they work out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts