Honda Twins banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
All disassembled now. I dont know how the dowel alignment got turned like that. : ( I'll do some parts cleaning tomorrow , re organize then start with the reassembly process.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Does anyone have any insight on degreeing the cam. It's been a while for me and was just wondering. Any helpful advice is always appreciated.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've been looking through all the cam timing related posts. There sure are a lot of them. This must be a very confusing thing to do. I think I have a stock cam memorized pretty well. Mine will require a little more thought. It's been a while for me . I have a cam card and will need to start taking some readings and figure out where it needs to be timed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
All disassembled now. I dont know how the dowel alignment got turned like that.
No one has mentioned this yet, but I'm guessing from your pictures the reason it happened to you is because you're assembling the parts in the lower case and trying to keep everything aligned while dropping the upper case and crankshaft on top of it. If that's what you're doing, know that it is supposed to be done in the upper case and the lower case dropped on top of the already-aligned parts while the upper case and parts are upside down. Don't worry, the cylinder studs won't be damaged

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Mr. Drain. My intention was to inspect the transmission without disassembling the top end. I will begin the assembly tonight as you have suggested. I was asking cam timing questions ahead of time hoping someone with a little more experience would offer me some advice before I jump into that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Mr. Drain. My intention was to inspect the transmission without disassembling the top end. I will begin the assembly tonight as you have suggested. I was asking cam timing questions ahead of time hoping someone with a little more experience would offer me some advice before I jump into that.
But that's the point, you CAN work on the transmission without touching the top end, you just remove the clutch cover, clutch and oil pump, and the alternator cover, flip the engine upside down and lift the lower case off. Assemble the parts in the upper case so it's easy to get all the alignment pins in place, then put the lower case back on. As for degreeing the cam, I'm assuming you mean setting the cam timing as the stock cam is not adjustable in degrees. The FSM shows you how to set the cam timing

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That was my intention until the dowel pin mistake, then it turned into a complete take down. The cam and gear are not stock. Cam requires the racing pistons and valve train. I've set it up in the past but its been a while and I don't have the instructions that were provided by Boretech. I will be going by memory instead.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Yender. It does make for a bad day. That suggestion does seem to be the best fix. I wish that I had a tig welder. Only mig. I have seen those repaired but I'm going to change the upper engine case. I have a couple spares. I think the spring-loaded slide was the culprit for the shifting problem but I was hoping to spot the smoking gulln that caused the metal flakes in the oil. This far I'm not seeing anything that looks abnormal.
Nice internals in your motor! What is the story with the camchain tensioner setup, it looks really interesting. Where can they be sourced. The pistons look interesting too.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi Gazzweld. The tensioner is a KA slipper. I don't know that very many are being used any more. They take a special cam chain , stock chain is not compatible. I think they are available but not sure where. Maybe Henning has them. . There are probably other ones available too. Ive seen some that look like the stock ones that are bearings instead of the plastic rubber material that disintegrates.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
During clean up and inspection of the replacement upper engine case I decided that it didn't meet my expectations. I decided to disassemble another spare motor. I hope this one works out better.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well ....... Another day another motor. I've disassembled this one to find someone else in the past mis aligned the other transmission dowel pin. I would think that this one pushed into the oil channel underneath it. Looks like the bearing was spinning in there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Gazzweld. The tensioner is a KA slipper. I don't know that very many are being used any more. They take a special cam chain , stock chain is not compatible. I think they are available but not sure where. Maybe Henning has them. . There are probably other ones available too. Ive seen some that look like the stock ones that are bearings instead of the plastic rubber material that disintegrates. View attachment 313873
Nice.......and with the slotted cam gear you can play around with the cam timing.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Cam timing is critical. The stock cam is fairly easy but the performance cams require precise timing. Electronic ignition is also a must. At least in my opinion. Points do still work.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
If it pushed the Alignment Dowel Pin thru it will have a BUMP and broken CHIP like you other one.
I know - when my son assembled his motor he missed both sides and the Pic's I posted were from that repair.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hi Yender, the pin looks to be pushed down flush to the case. I haven't tried to remove it yet. I thought it went through the top side of the oil chanel . I don't see a bump. I'll take a better look at it when I get a chance. I have the other one that isn't as good as I would like but it is usable. I'm going to put a motor together with that one for a spare and assemble another one with a new upper case.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I assembled another one today. The cases went together nicely this time. I rolled the transmission through the gears before assembly and they seemed to shift ok but it was making a clicking noise like some gears were bumping a little bit. I thought it was because it wasn't secured in the cases. I put it together and I'm still getting the noisy gears and it seems to shift hard. 3rd gear jumped and wouldn't hold in both motors. Upon taking them apart I found 1 gear with a broken tooth. All other gears and forks look ok. The other transmission all looks good to me. I don't know why it didn't work.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts