Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No , it was anaerobic. I was wondering what was normally used. Any suggestions. ?

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same thing as hondabond, or yamabond. I agree with to thick. Nothing in the passages. That's what Bill at Boretech said to use but I planned on much thinner this time.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any thoughts on O rings for the oil filter / spinner. The last few I've used went in at the correct size but when I take the snap ring out and open it up the O ring is way too big to be re used.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Interesting that they are expanding. Older o rings can expand if exposed to ethanol.

They are still available new. Check cmsnl for the part number

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't understand it either. The old ones that I used could be re used a few times. I wondered if I could maybe get better quality. Or buy a bunch of them and use new ones every time. They are cheap so no loss. Just annoying.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oops. I didn't use too much sealer this time and I swore the pins were lined up correctly. I guess it's time to start over.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well..... I already knew. I thought that I checked it carefully but it must have been a little off. I will check more carefully next time. The project sure got a bit bigger now.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Every picture tells a story don't it. I had a good amount of metal floating in the oil. Also a shifting problem. These are the reasons for the tear down. Then a broken case. 500 miles on the motor.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Been there done that with the Bearing Cap locator PIN.

The BEST way to fix the pushed thru PIN is to remove ALL Parts from the CASES.
Insert the PIN and the Bearing Cap.
Break Off the Cracked CHIP and push the PIN until fully down and seated in the Bearing Cap.
Then have a GOOD TIG Welder Cover over the Pin.

It will be 1005 Permanent the TIG won't stick to the Pin it will still be removable.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Yender. It does make for a bad day. That suggestion does seem to be the best fix. I wish that I had a tig welder. Only mig. I have seen those repaired but I'm going to change the upper engine case. I have a couple spares. I think the spring-loaded slide was the culprit for the shifting problem but I was hoping to spot the smoking gulln that caused the metal flakes in the oil. This far I'm not seeing anything that looks abnormal.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Here what a repair looks like.
The brighter pic is before the TIG and 2nd one is after and grinding down with a remodel tool

Attachments

1 - 20 of 85 Posts