Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys.
I bought my bike last Thursday and I noticed the other day that the rear wheel seems to be rotating a little wonky.
I had to adjust it a bit because it was a little off centre, but the sprocket seems to be on rather crudely and it does not rotate properly. It wobbles pretty badly.
I have a picture showing how it's attached. It doesn't look like this welds are meant to be there..
The white is just lithium grease.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
It looks like you'll need a new rear wheel. There's a washer and circlip that hold the sprocket to the wheel normally

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was kinda thinking that too. That's a shame.
Hopefully it doesn't cost too much.
I was curious whether this is even an original sprocket.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
The genius that welded on that hub almost certainly destroyed the bearings too.

·
Registered
805 Posts
That looks like an original sprocket (has the chain guard riveted onto it). Maybe the last person couldn't figure out how to get the circlip back on and decided to weld it instead.

It doesn't even look like the spacer is welded on straight lol. I don't understand how anyone could do that and expect it to travel in a straight line without a proper repair

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kinda figured the welding was quite the botched job.
I'm hoping this isn't too expensive to repair. I'd like to take it apart and check out the different parts. It's a little confusing so far, but I've been reading up on it throughout the forum and online.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yeah it's a shame someone even attempted it, especially since before the weld job the parts to repair it properly were about 25$ (although the circlip seems hard to find). Check your local craigslist/kjiji etc. to see if you can find another rear wheel, if not there's a couple on ebay. You could try searching either by year and model or by the numbers printed on the wheel (something like 1.85x18).

·
Registered
805 Posts
David Silver Spares special orders the washer for you, so that means they've got everything that would have been needed. David Silver Spares USA - 41204-413-780 Unless there's a different part number for the 78/79 CB400t?
It's a long shot but if you have a grinder you could try grinding the welding off and see if it somehow missed the groove in the hub

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm actually a welder myself, so I could try and grind the welds down.

It creates a decent little wobble in the chain as well. It still works okay, but you can feel it 'pulsing' at lower speeds.

What a PitA. Haha

I hate cleaning up other people's messes.

·
Registered
805 Posts
That is good news, hopefully you get lucky and find good stuff under all that welding. I had a similar symptom due to an old worn out chain and sprocket spacer, it was not a pleasant feeling when pulling the clutch coming up to a red light and feeling a big clunk every rotation of the chain.

I feel for you, at least once it's fixed right you'll know it's right and that it will last as long as you've got the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately the shipping is 3x more expensive than the wheel. Haha
Thank you for the link though, I appreciate it.

If I were to get another set of wheels (I'd love to get spoked), how would I go about that?

I'm very savvy with cars/trucks, especially anything suspension or work related, but these are new beasts.

I found an ad in the local classifieds. A fella is selling off some CB360 project bikes and has a bunch of wheels.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
For direct swap you'd be looking for CM400E wheels. Spoked and drum brakes at both ends so you'll loose the front disc. There's been a couple of recent threads about doing a spoked front disc wheel with possible suggestions made. Look thru here and the Project Log sections.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it possible to put on wheels other than the direct swap? It's going to be very difficult for me to get CM400E wheels around here. I've only seen the my CM400T, I've never seen another.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
What's your location Chad? Maybe someone within range has something useful or one of us might spot something with lower shipping.

Other wheels are a possibility, but may require some custom spacers to be made. My first thought of a donor bike is the SOHC CB650 we got in the States from 79-82. The 79 came only with comstars, but 80-82 there were 2 models, one with spokes and the CB650C (Custom) with comstars.
The spoke wheels from 80-82 fit the 79 bikes, so they may be listed as 79 parts depending on the bike they were parted from.

I'd bolt on a whole 650 front end, then figure out the rear. I can make spacers if absolutely needed, pm me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts