Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I re-wired my CB200 to run just the engine (no lights, etc.) but the rectifier keeps cooking the hot lead (red). Do I need to connect other parts of the wiring harness to prevent this? Could anyone recommend a super simple wiring diagram for just running the engine? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
One wire, Battery positive to coil black wire, battery negitive to frame.
In this set up the coil is going cook if you dont run the engine and the battery wont recharge but its the simplest wiring you can do and have the engine run.
If you want a better setup
Put a switch in line between the coil and the battery (its a kill switch) add a combined rec/reg inline from the stator and recharge the battery. Yellow and white wire from the stator should be joined then yellow and pink to rec/ reg green to battery neg and red to battery Positive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Simo, my alternator has Yellow, White/Yellow and Pink leads. Are you saying I should join the Yellow and White/Yellow and connect to one side of the rect and connect the the Pink to the other side of the rect? Then connect the green to battery neg (ground) and the red to (switched) battery Positive."

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
You might consider NOT plugging in the yellow/white wire. It sounds like the alternator is putting too much current and heating up the battery circuit.

Reactions: JamesPal

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Fit a modern combined regulator and rectifier, along with an AGM battery. Should cope with full output from generator.

Simple wiring:

Wire Cable Technology Electronic device Electrical wiring

White, White/Yellow and Pink wires from generator to the three yellow wires into new reg/rec.

This is taken from my CB600 wiring diagram, I have fitted a CB600 reg rec to my CL175. I know that the 175 alternator is wired differently internally, but it works.

CB600

Diagram Line Technology Drawing Illustration

CB175

Diagram

·
Registered
21 Posts
I forgot to say i have a cb125 twin if that makes a difference.
Although I'm wiring this engine up with just what I have for now to get it running so just trying to figure, connect white with yellow wire or leave off.
I plan on a bigger engine implant which I would be doing a brand new harness build. But for now..quick n simple fix for my solution?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.