Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a simple way to pop out dents in your gas tank without repainting. Save your original paint! Works most of the time. Try this before sanding, bondo and painting. Its worth a try.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I happened to have a tank with a shallow dent in the top(like someone sat on it), a busted old tube, and a bit of time. It worked! Then the tube blew. Thanks!

Now, is there an easy way to repair the crossover tubes? The PO cut them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
?I'm wondering what happened to the inner tank channel (straddles the frame).
The other side of that tube pushed on something.......

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I suppose if the dent was crushed up good it could be reinforced enough that you might unintentially push something out of wack. You'll always likely still have the hardened crease to bondo. If I was restoring I'd still think cutting a hole in the tunnel and tapping with the right shaped tools might get a perfect finish, but then you'd have the patched hole. I don't think I could be the restoration type. At my house it'd eventually get damaged again anyway.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Ah.
I'm my case it seems the force needed to pop the dent back up was less than he force needed to push or deform other sections.
As lefty mentions, there is still a slight ripple on the outer perimeter of where the debt was... Stretched metal I suppose. You can feel it but it's better than before.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've got a tank for a 1974 Yamaha TX500 in the garage with a dent by the filler cap. I have to try this method tomorrow.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I bet you could saddle the tank over piece of rigid pipe and do it without harming the channel.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Well, in any case it's better than the method used by the idiots I went to high school with, who dropped a lit cherry bomb into an SL350K0 tank and closed the cap... it's amazing they lived to tell about it, but the tank looked like an overgrown football afterward

·
Registered
185 Posts
The jury is still out. I couldn't seal the ends of the tube enough for my 5 gallon compressor to build up pressure. I think hose clamps might be the solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts