Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone can help? I installed some rear signals on my cl350 today but they wont work.
My battery is new.
All other lights work perfect.
Horn works (handcontrols connected)
all connections are there for the siganls. Orange (left light) Green (left ground) Sky Blue (right light) Green (right ground) all connected to proper buts.
The bulbs dont look burned out at all.
What else could be causing them not to work?

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
When you say they don't work, do you mean they don't light up at all, or they do but just don't blink? Are these regular bulbs or LED?

Have you checked the fuses? Do other electrics work (headlight, tail light)? What about the flasher unit? I wonder if this may be the source of the problem. Do you have a known good one you can swap in there?

You may need to get out the multimeter and start going through testing the current to see where its breaking down.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They dont turn on at all.
Where can I find the flasher unit?
These are regular bulbs. Is there a specific fuse for the signals?
Guess I better get that multimeter. What would be a good place to start a system check?

·
Registered
608 Posts
signal relay should be right behind the horn, check the black wire for voltage, then grey wire goes to turn selector switch on the handle bar where it splits to Orange (left) /Sky Blue (right)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Do you have a manual? Your best bet is to get the wiring diagram and follow along the blinker circuit from the battery to the lights, testing for current at each section. This will help you narrow down where the issue may be.

As for where the flasher unit it, I can't remember. I disassembled my 350 a while ago and can't recall where exactly. It should be under the seat somewhere.

If you need a manual, Bill has a couple that he is generously hosting:

http://home.comcast.net/~tbpmusic3/CB_CL_SL_250_350.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~tbpmusic3/CB_CL250_350RepairManual.pdf

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you I do have the Clymers manual I will do a system check today .
any other tips?

·
Registered
363 Posts
learn hand signals :D nah, get a multimeter and trace it out, even a cheap test light will do the trick, but a multimeter is handy when checking the charging system. just be aware that just because the multimeter reads proper voltage, the connection may not be adequate under load but it will tell most of the story.

see if you have voltage at the rear blinkers when the switch is on. if yes, blinkers may be bad or ungrounded

if none of your blinkers work, than the switch is likely not getting power, perhaps the blinker relay is toast, check for voltage to ground at both terminals of the blinker relay.

if good, then check the outputs of your switch, you should see a flashing signal.

if the front blinkers work, than the flasher and switch are good, check the wires in the headlight bucket, then trace back to the rear blinkers.

you do have the blinkers grounded proper right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I think I found out why my signals wont work.
I have no relay!!!
I checked my wiring diagram and it says my relay should be attached to a black and a grey cable well i found those attached to nothing.
Can anyone confirm?
Heres a pic the black cable has a double but one for the horn one for the realy ( black cable not shown)
My other questions is why is there a ground cable just laying around that area?
Does that plug up to the relay as well?
Does anyone happen to have a relay laying around or know of a good place I can get one?

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
if you look at the wiring diagram you'll see the black wires are the 12v power the gray wire goes up to the selector switch a two prong 12v flasher from a auto supply store will work fine

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool so I got a two prong 12v relay from the auto place now I need to make some wire connections it will include 2 quick relase connectors to connetct to the realy. A male and a female butt connector for the gray and black wire. now my question is what gauge of wire should I use?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The correct wires on the bike's harness should already have female spade connectors that should push right on the flashers male counterparts.....NO extra wiring necessary....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
those wires were removed. Butt connectors are still there I can connect to those with butts and use spades for the flasher.

·
Registered
363 Posts
anything larger than 18 ga wire should be fine, nominal flasher is a 50% duty cycle at approximately 40w hardly a draw and its intermittent.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forgot to mention it worked.
thanks for all the tips guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts