Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up some Emgo mufflers to make my decibel level a little more sane. I don't want to dent them when the side stand goes up. What's the easier way to permanently attach a rubber stop on the bottom of the muffler? Is there an epoxy or glue that will withstand the heat of the muffler?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Or drill and tap a small hole in the sidestand lug, M6 say, and fit a cap head bolt to stop the sidestand retracting past it.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've also seen a washer replaced with a triangular piece of sheet metal with a hole near the pointy end that's the inside diameter of the washer, and the blunt end of the triangle pointing toward the rear of the bike. This way the center stand cannot retract entirely. The width of the blunt end of the triangle determines how far the stand does retract.

A poor description at best but some may see what I mean.

·
Registered
110 Posts
FYI my CB175 has Emgo mufflers. The stock kick start lever did not clear the muffler. I considered rolling an indentation in the cone but ended up finding another lever that swung out far enough to clear the pipes. The trick was locating a lever with the correct spline size. There's a post about it somewhere on here but I cannot find it. Does anyone know how I can find all my posts and/or replies?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
FYI my CB175 has Emgo mufflers. The stock kick start lever did not clear the muffler. I considered rolling an indentation in the cone but ended up finding another lever that swung out far enough to clear the pipes. The trick was locating a lever with the correct spline size. There's a post about it somewhere on here but I cannot find it. Does anyone know how I can find all my posts and/or replies?
Just click on your screen name beside "welcome" at the top of the page.

I had to switch kickstart levers to clear the muffler when I converted my CL to low pipes. That said, my stands now just clank onto the bottom of the muffler. I'm watching this thread to get ideas of what type of bumper will work.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Reactions: middletons

·
Registered
581 Posts
He did. My error.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just installed the mufflers and this is still a puzzle to figure out. When it folds up, the stand doesnt come close enough to the frame pipe to use some aftermarket stops that snap onto to the frame. The other issue is that the point where the stand makes contact is the stand "foot," meaning any stop I affix to that foot will be covered in sand and road debris--- not good for the chrome muffler finish... I'm gonna keep poking around and see if I can figure it out. Next time Im at my bike Ill snap some pics.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
How exactly does the cl350 stand stop?
The sidestand mounting tab that's part of the footpeg bar is shaped a little differently and has a straight edge that stops the stand when it's folded up. The CB footpeg bar doesn't have it. Looks like Honda would have just made them the same and then the CB muffler wouldn't have needed a stop on it. I suppose a welder could build up a stop like that on a CB assembly. Same thing for the CL centerstand - there's an extra tab welded to the top of the stand with a rubber bumper that hits the frame when the stand is up. looks like they would have just made the CB centerstand the same way and eliminated the muffler stop.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem solved. The clamp holding the muffler to the headers can be rotated to block the path of the side stand. Check out the pic. The clamp forms a "C" shape, the gap of which is connected by the bolt that tightens the clamp. If I want to do this right, Ill fit some sort of rubber piece into that gap with a hole through it for the bolt. That would eliminate any possibility of rattling.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts