Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just a really basic question. I had the tank off my CB350 K4 and had it running for a few minutes on a dummy petrol tank. After tweaking the carbs I turned the ignition off and found that the Coil was quite hot to the touch. The bike had only run for a few minutes, and I was surprised how hot the coil had become. Obviously you don't really get to see the coil when the tank is on. As I haven't had a chance to run the bike I don't know if there are any electrical issues as yet. Should the coil be hot after only running the bike for a few minutes?

Cheers

Mal

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Double check you rpolarity.
They will run very hot if wired in reverse.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've seen "very warm" coild, but never hot, if it's uncomfortable to the touch I don't think that's right, very warm though, yeah, seen it a lot.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If it was summer i would be out there running the bike and burning my hands checking the coil, TY winter you are good for something.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
They will get hot (and burn up) if the key switch is left on without the engine running. A few minutes won't usually damage them, like when setting static ignition timing, but a longer time can fry a coil. They will get warm while running, but it's no big deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts