Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my build I'm restoring as much as possible and upgrading where I can when it doesn't really affect the vintage look. 1970 CL450. My forks are in great shape.
Earlier in the forum I was told the 73 and 74 models got the newer forks (I have the spring on the outside style). I'm a little overwhelmed with everything else I have to work on in the build so I'm hoping for some guidance. I'm assuming I should change mine to the newer ones. I've already got my triples at the powder coaters.

Is there anything else I need besides the 73/74 forks (triples, etc). I assume the wheel/drum brake/fender are the same so should be no problem bolting up

I already ordered tapered bearing kits for my year - will that work with 73/74 or do I need to order a different set for that

I found a set of 74 forks on eBay but they are slightly pitted/rusted for $125 shipped. Wondering if it's worth cleaning them up or is it better to get new tubes from Franks Forks. Not sure how well they will clean up and time is also an issue for me with the build

Are there fork sets from other bikes that are the same I can use so I can expand my search?

Thanks-

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
If your forks are in decent shape I'd reccomend making sure they're clean ect., fill em with the proper amount of oil and using them. Maybe do some research to see if different oil weights could help after you access how you think they work and if it may help. Or just swap em out and see. The newer style are better but you get used to what you have and they may or may not make much of a difference.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I'm used to superbikes so I know modern different fork setups can make a big difference but if it's not a SIGNIFICANT upgrade/difference between the '70 and '74 forks then to me it wouldn't be worth the effort/cost thanks-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts