Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a 36 Philadelphian suburb teacher looking at $750 scrambler that needs some love. I don't have a welder (yet) or a beautiful shop. I have grit and a love for the bike but not sure if it's enough! A plus is my father in law owns a body shop so painting it is good. Any1 looking give me an idea of what the hell I'm in for if I decide to purchase? The original panels and lights are included but not shown in the pic. The bike runs.. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Best decision I ever made was getting my 74 cb450! I had never ridden a bike before in my life when I got it. Nor had I any engine experience. But I just did the whole engine with nothing but a Honda manual, YouTube, and the help of the guys on this forum. Hell ya, it’s a great idea! You’re in for a lot of hours depending on the shape it’s in and what needs to be done (the pics aren’t loading on my phone for some reason), but it’s manageable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Most definitely. Do it. Just get it safe and ride the hell out of it. Don't try to build a cafe racer, or a brat, or a steampunk or whatever the next fad is. They're great bikes as-is. Just ride it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello, I'm a 36 Philadelphian suburb teacher looking at $750 scrambler that needs some love. I don't have a welder (yet) or a beautiful shop. I have grit and a love for the bike but not sure if it's enough! A plus is my father in law owns a body shop so painting it is good. Any1 looking give me an idea of what the hell I'm in for if I decide to purchase? The original panels and lights are included but not shown in the pic. The bike runs.. Any help would be appreciated!
I undertook a similar project. I did not have a welder either, but bought one from harbor freight for $80. Mine was in much worse shape, I believe.

https://cl350blog.wordpress.com

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Nice bike! Definitely at that price. Those bikes are easy to work on and lots, I mean LOTS, of help and very knowledgable people on this forum. You will learn a lot in no time and be a proud rider. Here is something to get going if you buy it.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/67...n/16105-basic-checklist-new-you-old-bike.html

By the way, grit and love is all you need, lots of love actually.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Why would a welder be required unless the frame needs to be repaired or you are going to...cough...make it a KUSTOM.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
587 Posts
you're thinking about it all wrong - the bike is already there, you dont need to weld or paint it... at least not yet. What it does need is a ton of maintenance that you'll be able to do with about $50 in tools if you don't have them already. Unless you're going to turn it into some kind of build, then you might need more tools and eventually welding and painting. but in the mean time $750 is a great deal for a running bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses. Ive read several posts related to the bike and got a bit scared of some of the engine repair work people endured. A bit out of my 'echo carb rebuild' background that I have! I believe the frame is fine so I'm not sure a welder is needed. Just thought it was a reason to buy another tool. ? The seller also said the title would also be included. I will say this, I can't stop thinking about it...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey you only live once maybe twice go for it.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The biggest battle to bring a bike like this back is rusted bolts and screws. You will learn how to deal with that. The CL350 is a great little bike. They look good, are great on the back roads and have enough power for the freeway. I rode a CB360T from San Diego to Seattle back in the day. If you are determined, it could be on the road by summer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The trigger was pulled and I'm now the owner of not only my first Honda Twin, but my first bike. Pretty excited about it! As getting the bike safe is my number one concern where do you guys buy your parts from? I read up on the basic checklist and I do know that the bike needs new cables brakes etc. Since it's 46 yrs old, I assume that I can't go to my local shop to buy parts. I'm sure they can order them but prob not the most cost efficient method. Any input from an experienced user on a supplier or method of retrofitting newer parts would be appreciated. I'm currently working on a FSM for my newly aqcuired CL350 and I'm assuming the manual found here is the one I need. Thanks again for being an excellent resource, and really the source of confidence for me to tackle this project.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The trigger was pulled and I'm now the owner of not only my first Honda Twin, but my first bike. Pretty excited about it! As getting the bike safe is my number one concern where do you guys buy your parts from? I read up on the basic checklist and I do know that the bike needs new cables brakes etc. Since it's 46 yrs old, I assume that I can't go to my local shop to buy parts. I'm sure they can order them but prob not the most cost efficient method. Any input from an experienced user on a supplier or method of retrofitting newer parts would be appreciated. I'm currently working on a FSM for my newly aqcuired CL350 and I'm assuming the manual found here is the one I need. Thanks again for being an excellent resource, and really the source of confidence for me to tackle this project.
Congrats on joining the vintage club. Looks like the right manual link, the CB and CL are essentially the same. No, the Honda dealer probably won't be able to get you much, and half of their employees or more wouldn't have been alive when the bike was current either - and don't pay them to do anything for you, it will be more expensive and less successful than you'd want in the end. There are many places to get some OEM parts as well as aftermarket stuff (but some of which is not the best quality, so be choosy). Google searches, eBay, sometimes Amazon, and lots of vintage Honda parts suppliers out there like David Silver Spares, cmsnl.com, Western Honda, Bike Bandit, Dime City Cycles, Common Motor Collective, 4into1.com, many others. Be sure to price shop, the prices can be all over the board at times

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Welcome to the classic Honda ownership club. This is going to be an experience you will always remember. Since you are new to motorcycling, consider taking a safety class before you start riding.

Tom nailed all the best sites for parts. I use Bike bandit a lot. They are OK, but during the busy season they can be a little slow. cmsnl.com has the best inventory that I have found, they get many reproduction part made. 4into1 is good for carb parts. If you get stuck on a part, just do a Google search by part number. It is amazing what pops up.

The next thing is a place to work on the bike. I assume you have that covered. Then get the factory shop manual. Don't rely on the Hanes or Clymer. You should also get the CB350 owners manual for your bike. The next thing to do is figure out what you want. I will caution you, if I had a dollar for everyone who has joined this site, bought their first motorcycle then told up they had all of these plans to make a custom bike, took the bike apart, then cut up the frame and we never heard from them again, I would have enough money for another classic Honda. We are a little sensitive to this. Next is tools. You should have a basic set of metric sockets and combination wrenches. One set of sockets should be six point sockets. Included in the tool set is JIS screwdrivers and an impact driver. A lot of us use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel for hard to remove screws. And finally, have a system for removing parts, segregating - storing the sub assemblies and then restoring each.

Once you have the bike home and tucked away in your shop, start taking reference pictures. Start a thread in the CB350 projects sections and keep us posted with progress. BTW- we like pictures and we like to give advice whether it is asked for or not.

Again, welcome aboard!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Understood. Thanks for the tool list, part searching tricks, and organization system input as I feel a bit naive to ask such basic questions but are prob the most important pieces for a successful project. It's time now to clear the shed of the material and sheet goods that are no longer relevant. I've already checked a few sites and amazed on the number of products I've seen for the bike. Quick q, when and what did you guys name your project!?

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Awesome Welcome to the Twins.

Post lots of pic's and let us know what you need help with

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Quick q, when and what did you guys name your project!?
I'm not one to name bikes or projects, other than the name it came with from Honda (guess that tells you what my favorite is), or the names I might give it occasionally when I'm frustrated with it. I guess that stems from my not being able to stockpile project bikes over the years, they've usually had to go to make way for the next one financially - I'd have a helluva stable of vintage Hondas had I been able to keep all of them. Many here find their inspiration for naming from other things in their lives. To each his own, as my Grandma used to say!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Understood. Thanks for the tool list, part searching tricks, and organization system input as I feel a bit naive to ask such basic questions but are prob the most important pieces for a successful project. It's time now to clear the shed of the material and sheet goods that are no longer relevant. I've already checked a few sites and amazed on the number of products I've seen for the bike. Quick q, when and what did you guys name your project!?
My wife calls the 450 the "Little Bike." I call it the 450. I call my GL1200 the Diva in the Steve Sounders Goldwing Facts forum only because it is an aging beauty that became very demanding when I was bringing it back to life. At home I call it the 1200. On-line I call the GL1100 Lady Godiva because it rides naked. I bet you can't guess what I call it at home?

·
Registered
37 Posts
great bike, and great price!

good score. i'm with the rest, ride it as is... the whole "cafe garbage" is killing so many classic hondas.

enjoy it, i have a 71 CL450... and its my fav.

Reactions: workdogz2
1 - 20 of 34 Posts