Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Honda CM400C
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can buy the changing tools (including balancing stand and weights) for about $200. If I take to the local shop they will charge about $165 plus I have to rent a trailer at $17 plus the time back and forth (only about 20 minutes each way).

Should I try to change myself to take to the mechanic?

I have a 1981 CM400T.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Find a shop that will mount tires (a lot of dirt bike places do). Mail order the tires you want, and when they come, take the wheels off and take them and the new tires to the shop. When they’re finished, take them home and put them back on the bike. Around here, motorcycle tire mounting and balancing runs about $30 A wheel.

That said, I mount tires on spoked rims myself, but I pay a shop to mount tubeless tires on mag wheels. I’ve never had the need to balance tires on a small motorcycle - just pay attention to the balance spot on the tire and put it at the valve stem.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Every motorcyclist should know the joys of changing tires themselves. All you need are a couple of tire irons. I wouldn't worry about balancing them unless there was reason to. Put enough air in the tubes to keep them in the tire so you don't pinch them. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts