Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I have a great spare set of Fork Ears but they are too long, is it possible to shorten them without ruining them?

The ones on my 450 custom are rough so was I looking at the possibility of the above, it looks like the bottom piece could just be a press fit?

Anyone any experience of doing this please?
20200429_121706.jpg

Cheers, Graham

·
Registered
4,420 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see how you can shorten those without ruining them. How would you flare out the cut end to go over the lower triple tree?
Why not opt for after market fork ears?

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I will see if I can modify the ones I have got first, the 'cut end' is a separate piece it 'looks like' it is press fit but I am not sure it could be spot welded but I see no evidence of that.

So if I can get it off without too much effort and no damage then it would be just a matter of cutting the tube and re-fitting? (y)

I will update when I feel brave enough to potentially ruin a good ear:oops: I have them soaking in penetrating oil ATM.

Cheers Graham

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Honestly, I'd be surprised if Honda pressed them together. I'm guessing they're spot-welded in an area you can't see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, I'd be surprised if Honda pressed them together. I'm guessing they're spot-welded in an area you can't see.
Thanks, you are probably right, I will let you know tomorrow as I am going to try and separate it, it will have been soaking in penetrating oil for 24 hrs by then as signs of rust starting in the joint :whistle:(y)

Cheers Graham

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick update, Yes the flared cut out pieces are spot welded in 4 places on each ear, I have managed to separate them without too much damage (non that will be seen anyway) so next step is to cut the tubes to length keeping them square will be critical so pondering this move next.

20200430_105817.jpg 20200430_105848.jpg

Cheers, Graham

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good for you - now the hard part, cautious and careful trimming to fit
Yes you are right especially with my hacksaw skills :oops: but I think I 'got away with it' :D I am in the process of putting them on the bike now, had to come away for a brew as just struggling a little I had forgot how awkward these can be to refit :rolleyes:

20200430_114537.jpg 20200430_141030.jpg

Thanks, Graham

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all, just to finish off, I have fit my fork ears :D (y) and I am very happy with the result, well at least they are in great condition compared to my old ones.

20200501_113130.jpg 20200501_113142.jpg

Right so......was it worth the effort = Yes.

Would I do it again = Yes

Would I go about it the same way = No

If anyone is thinking of doing the same (very remote chance but you never know) it is an easy job but if possible ie if you can see where the spot welds are (I could on one but not on the other) then I would drill through the tube from the outside through the spot welds, this will help keep the integrity of 'the sleeve' (the bit that you refit in the end of your newly cut tube) as I found out the forks will not go back if it is a bit 'rough' I had to file both joints, luckily I got away with it but it caused me a lot of frustration as I did not try the ear over the fork first before trying to fit them.

Thank you to all who responded with help and advice.

Cheers, Graham

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry I should have added the picture below, it is took looking down the tube after I had 'broken' the spot welds using a long thin chisel, this was on the ear that I could see where the spot welds were.

20200430_075438.jpg

On the face of it it does not look too bad (the other was a lot worse as I could not see where the spot welds were) but you then have to get the 'flange' back to into shape, I used a tight (ish) fitting socket and a small hammer to try to tap it into shape, this as it turned out was not quite good enough so ended up filing the rough bits.

(y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts