Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off kudos for all the info this forum is priceless! I'm a newbie here and am restoring a '71 cb450 that has sat for quite a few (20+) years. Just interested in what kind of rear shocks I could use to improve over the originals. Seeing how I'm over 200lbs I thought something else may be better.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Almost ANY new shocks are better than the OEM Honda ones...... Decide How much you're willing to spend on them and we'll go from there....... At 200+, I'd just buy ones designed for the 750 which weighed about 150 more than a 450...... They'll bolt right on, but be a smidge taller......and slightly more heavily sprung.....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
+1, Steve. Stock 450 shocks are just pitiful... :oops: :( :cry:

I put '81 750C shocks on my 450, a pure bolt-up.
A bit longer, I use the softer spring settings - I too am becoming a hefty boy, and it works ok.
They're not Konis or anything, but they're real shiny and only cost $20 on EBay.
I'm not a racer, so no point to spend $300-$400 on fancy shocks in this case.

Gotta watch it though - some 750 shocks have sort of an offset on the lower mount part........

·
Registered
29 Posts
i use progressive 12 shocks, got them on ebay used for a steal, they are night and day compared to the stock shocks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks thats a good place to start. I'm loving ebay already finding lots of good stuff there. Does alot of stuff from the 750 match up? Also you know that problem if the bike falls on the gear shift? I've heard of a cover that has fins on it to stop the shifter from adding another oil drainhole to the engine if it tips. Any thoughts? Or should that be a new topic? I see them for 750, 500, 550, 350...no 450 :cry:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
They make the finned covers for the 450 as well. Plus one with a woman on it with her tits out.

Some 750 parts cross over such as some shocks, but watch out for the lower clevis mount on the shocks. On some of the 750's the lower clevis is offset to one side where the 450 is not.

They share 35mm forks that are similar in design. Brake components. Etc...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
439 Posts
want to run this past you folk, anyone try to fit CB650 shocks (coil springs, no covers) on the CB450? I found a clean pair at a fair price... but will they fit? TIA, danWI

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
danWI said:
want to run this past you folk, anyone try to fit CB650 shocks (coil springs, no covers) on the CB450? I found a clean pair at a fair price... but will they fit? TIA, danWI
I can't say for certain, not having a CB650 here, but.......

I think the early 650 used the same shock as the early 750DOHC.
That said, I have a pair of '81 CB750C shocks on my 450 - bolts right up, but a bit longer than stock.
I run them in a softer position on the adjuster, lots better than the original 450 shocks.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts