Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a similar question to this in my project thread, but didn't get many replies, and thought it was worth asking again.

What's the general consensus here regarding old shocks? Say you have your bike's original shocks, but they are in pretty rough shape. Besides cleaning and rust removal, we are talking about a part that wears out over time, right? So what do you do, restore the shocks and use them, or pick up some replacements?

My bike came with both the original shocks, and a set of Performance aftermarket shocks. The new shocks look nice, but they're not a perfect fit. I could buy some washers to center everything, but that just seems like a bad idea, and I shouldn't have to do that. I could also get a set of Hagons, but don't have the money for them currently. What are my other options? Could I clean and rebuild the original shocks and just replace the springs? Would that be good as new?

·
Registered
554 Posts
FSM lists the "free length of rear suspension spring" as 207.6 mm, but no service limit; I'm not sure how you'd check for wear without more advanced diagnostics (e.g., measuring weight and spring rate). The shocks weren't anything to phone home about either though, I don't think I'd bother replacing just the spring. I just cleaned up and re-used the stockers on mine for the moment - they're a little squishy, but they ride OK. I'd give em a scrub and see if they have any leaks or pitting on the shock - if not, I'd give em a careful bit of test riding, and if the feel isn't awful, ride em until you've saved up for the Hagons (or Progressives or Ikons, as it were).

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I have done complete restorations on bikes, and even rebuilt the shocks for some of them. They are a total PITA to rebuild, and seals are hard to find for them. I have come to the conclusion that it is best to just disassemble to remove the spring, clean and paint to please, and call it good. Especially since these bikes do not get ridden much, and when they are it is not going to be high speed spirited riding.
TOOLS

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I chose to go this route https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/TEC_brand_HONDA_CL350_Shocks_p/j-sh07a-hcl350.htm for mine. Haven't installed yet as the bike is still in the nuts and bolts stage waiting on chrome and plating work plus an engine rebuild.

They're not Hagons, but I guarantee you'll like them better than stock........it will feel like a new bike.
Shocks are the one of the few really affordable things you can do to dramatically improve your bike's handling and feel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wasn't it on this site that I learned how to drill and tap the bottom of the fluid reservoir for an 1/8" NPT pipe plug and use heavy fork oil to replace the "water" that trickles out. And yes they do make a tool to disassemble the shock first. You can buy or make one yourself once you see how it is made. Motion makes the tool. LDR - that looks like a good alternative for CL/CB shocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts