Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with having a bike shipped? Is it possible to ballpark an estimate on this, I'm interested in some out of state CB350s. 1500 miles is a long journey for a heavy package.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I had a guy use Uship to pick up a cb350 he bought from my place in Iowa to Texas. If I remember right he paid somewhere near $1000 give or take $250, and the guy that picked it up wouldnt deliver it to his door, I think the buyer had to drive 150 miles to pick it up.

I'm sure there will be many opinions on Uship here, but I was far from impressed. Shipper came and called plus pounded on my door at 4:45 AM to pick up the bike. He was supposed to be here the night before after 6PM.

My understanding is the shipper accepted the bid, then called the guy wanting it shipped in order to change rules and asked for more money. I was told once you accept the bid on Uship you are stuck with that shipper or you pay a percentage to retract the bid. I felt bad for the guy that had it shipped, he got burned.

I would go with a company that specializes in shipping bikes and has positive feedback.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've used Uship 4-5 times, and haven't ever had a bad experience. Once a driver asked if instead of delivering it at 10PM he could deliver it at 7AM, but that didn't really bother me. Shipped bikes from NC to Boston, Phoenix to Texas, Seattle to Phoenix, a slant 6 from Seattle to Phoenix, and a '64 Plymouth from El Centro to Phoenix.

For devlilclown's friend's experience, that's outside of the rules and the guy who needed something shipped should have contacted Uship -- once the bid is accepted it is a done deal and the shipper can't call and demand more money without being penalized or banned.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Any new info on this subject? I looked and rates from Savannah to Dallas Texas are close to $700 on more than one site.. that's a BIG factor when buying /selling a bike!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any new info on this subject? I looked and rates from Savannah to Dallas Texas are close to $700 on more than one site.. that's a BIG factor when buying /selling a bike!!
700 is cheap with the current rising gas prices. I paid 500 a year ago for a similar distance, transport guy and a van/trailer was recommended by the seller, took 2 months, not recommend!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
My only experience has been UPack Relocube, however that is only an economically smart option if you are transporting a bike + other stuff. I moved a 2009 Suzuki Vstrom along with apartment furniture, kitchen supplies, clothes, and a mattress from Chicago IL to Augusta GA for $1,269. I have had a VERY good experience with them.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've been searching.. and $7-800 seems to be the "average" for "bike shippers".. according to google maps Savannah to dallas is 15-16 hours...
I am seriously thinking about renting a covered trailer and making the drive to drop off a bike..especially concidering I would be picking one up to bring home..
Pull a all nighter, get there, do the deal, crash for the evening.. then head home...
$1,500 to 1,600 is what I would be looking at saving..
Gotta take a good hard look at this.. my wife would (kinda) be pissed because she is always trying to get me to take time off work to "relax".. convincing her a 30 plus hour drive would be relaxing..
I will say if I explained the details.. she would be on board..,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.