• Other (please describe)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to "Vintage" bikes...
do you guys suggest using the clutch for every up shift?

When racing shifter karts (using 125cc 2-cycle honda motors ofcourse) we just use the clutch to get going and bang through the gears with a little lift on the throttle.

I guess i'm not to familiar with these older transmissions. It sounds like from reading that you guys (and the occasional gal!) use the clutch every up shift.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
You can shift without the clutch in the same manner that you do your carts. Just dont know for how long or why?
:roll:
Are you racing the bike?
It will take its toll on quite a few parts in the transmission and I think all the way up to the valve train with the shock.
Just my opinion and I have been wrong at least 20 times today alone.
Don

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
These bikes will upshift just fine without using the clutch but it wasn't designed for it and will most certainly shorten the life of some components. Your shifter kart motor is based on MX bikes that were designed knowing the clutchless shifting was going to take place. My YZ426 has been modified so it uses an AutoClutch so I don't use the clutch for anything anymore and I can just remove the clutch lever if I want.

On my GSXR1000 race bike I have a quick shifter so full throttle upshifts take place on every upshift.

Now, with all that said, your old Doesn't have a special clutch nor does it have an ignition interruption device. Back when I was a kid and we rode out CL350 in the dirt we frequently didn't use the clutch out in the desert and I thought I was cool when I didn't use it when riding it to school. These days I'm a little smarter and rounded engagement dogs and broken gear teeth are on my mind a lot more.

You should know that it is possible to do clutchless shifting but I'd advise against it on a regular basis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts