Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I setup my clutch today using the shop manual. When I tightened the “torque nut” on the side cover I could feel something move begind the cover. When I pulled he clutch there was a pop noise. (What could this pop have been and do I need to take the side cover off to investigate further?) I loosened everything and then readjusted using the steps and the clutch felt ok. Then I attached my shifter. I still haven’t put fluids in the bike yet from the rebuild. The shifter will not get out of neutral. Could that be the shift arm is set up incorrectly? No oil? Or could it be because the bike was stationary? I have a ton of questions because this my first build and I’m trying to trouble shoot on the fly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Pull the shifter off and relocate the front arm so it points down instead of up.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
You have the shift joint on the shaft upside down. The linkage section between the pedal and the joint that goes on the shift shaft should be horizontal, with both pivot points below the pedal and shift shaft. The clutch adjustment at the cable ends can exceed the limit of travel for the lifter arm and it's threaded design if too much slack is taken up at the cable ends instead of the adjustment screw (and nut) in the front sprocket cover. Somewhere on the site is a sticky for adjusting the clutch

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/attachments/18779d1391451019-fixed-shift-lever-adjustment-1028121525.jpg

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Meaning call me so I can explain why it went POP, and how to fix both it and the criss-crossed shifter mechanism....

Easier to answer a "ton" of questions by phone than type all the answers out.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Meaning call me so I can explain why it went POP, and how to fix both it and the criss-crossed shifter mechanism....

Easier to answer a "ton" of questions by phone than type all the answers out.....

That is awesome! I’ll give you a shout later on in the day or is it ok to call you Saturday?

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Whenever...... Just be at and prepared to work on the bike....

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm convinced that you're not really a HT member until you've talked to 66 on the phone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts