Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had reason to stay out of the house today, I spent most of this rainy day fabricating, and engineering as I went, the linkage to relocate my shifter from the left to right side. This is to be a vintage flat track bike and I figured why not? I had some odds and ends on hand that made the job a little easier. Especially an actual engineered shifter link from a wrecked GS500 Suzuki I've been cannibalizing for years, one piece at a time. (My 350 engine stand is made from the lower frame cradle!) The technical parts are all sorted - I think. The only major task left is making the mounting tabs and attaching them to the counter shift housing. This will actually be the most critical part as straight and square alignment will be absolutely necessary. The plan is to incorporate the mounting into the rear, top engine mount. The beauty of it is that if I decide in the end not to use it, nothing stock has been modified. Just pull the device. Reinstall the stock shift lever and go! The counter shaft housing (iron pipe) is just laying on top the transmission here. I needed to make sure where I wanted the ends before I can determine the length of the mounting tabs. Not sure if I'll get the chance to finish up tomorrow or not. :-?

WP-20190321-001.jpg WP-20190321-003.jpg

Reactions: Pops and Lefty

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I can only ask - WHY ?

Now you have to also move the Rear Brake linkage.

I had several bikes with Left Shift then I had a '73 Sportster (AMF Years) it had a Right Shift. Ok No problem I learned that.
About (2) years later I jumped on a friends bike and went down the street.
As I came up to a Stop Sign I Pulled in the clutch down shifted (3) gears as I drove right thru the stop - looking for the brake which was on the other side of what I had been riding for (2) years.

That expirence told me you get use to some things as they become natural.
Now I suppose if I had multiple bikes with different shifter positions I "MIGHT" be able to switch without too much thinking but....

GOOD - LUCK !

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
yeah, the first time I rode an old Harley Sprint that had right side shift, the same thing happened to me - I knew it from the start, of course, but when automated reactions happen you tend to revert. I get it for a flat track replica bike though... probably leave the brake on the same side too, for effect.

oupa, how is the leverage and movement distance? the significantly different length arms involved make me curious

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I can only ask - WHY ?

GOOD - LUCK !
:grin::grin::grin: Well, I did mention in the OP that this is a vintage flat track bike. I guess that requires some additional explanation for those unfamiliar with the sport. You see, since flat track always turns left, if you decide you need to shift anywhere between the straight-a-ways, it can be difficult with a left-side shifter when your foot is on the ground instead of the rest. ;)

52-Ronnie-Rall-44-Thomas-Heil-77-Chris-Draayer-18-Mert-Lawwill-31-Donald-Twigg-64-Billy-Lloyd-an.jpg

You are correct that I also need to relocate the brake. Not for the reason you think though. The brake will actually be more or less in the same "position" just not the same location. :rolleyes: I will not only be moving the brake lever, but replacing the brake with a disc, caliper & master cylinder so the whole brake set up has to be re-engineered. The shifter will not even be close to the expected location OR position. :D There's typically not a lot of shifting in flat track. Sometimes none. Shifter position will require some deliberate thought and action to use so established habits (from street riding) will not likely transfer.

EDIT - Again, I'm assuming ya'll understand. Just to make sure, the shifter and the brake will be on the SAME (right) side!

Reactions: TOOLS1

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finished up the fabrication this morning. Pretty simple project actually.
Of course the scavenged linkage made it a little easier, but even that wouldn't be so hard to make.
Still not committed to using it, but it was a neat learning process!
WP-20190323-001.jpg WP-20190323-002.jpg

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
That's cool, I've seen a few heavily modified cb77 racers that somehow run the shifter out the kickstart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts