Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The year was 1976. President Carter had accepted the Democratic Nomination for President. Welcome Back Kotter was #1 on the charts, the Space Shuttle was released, Rocky was playing in movie theatres across the country. I was 9. Also, somewhere in Portland, OR, a man was pushing his 1971 Honda CB450 into his garage.

Fast forward 34 years.

That same man comes up to me, and asks "Do you know anyone who'd be interested in an old motorcycle?"

"Why, yes. Yes I do."

Some TLC later, and she's back.

There's still some more minor tweaking to do, but for the most part, she's back. And, I have to say, "she looks mahvelous"!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Angus McGee said:
The year was 1976. President Carter had accepted the Democratic Nomination for President. Welcome Back Kotter was #1 on the charts, the Space Shuttle was released, Rocky was playing in movie theatres across the country. I was 9. Also, somewhere in Portland, OR, a man was pushing his 1971 Honda CB450 into his garage.

Fast forward 34 years.

That same man comes up to me, and asks "Do you know anyone who'd be interested in an old motorcycle?"

"Why, yes. Yes I do."

Some TLC later, and she's back.

There's still some more minor tweaking to do, but for the most part, she's back. And, I have to say, "she looks mahvelous"!
That's a great find and the bike looks nice. What did you do to the front forks?

The next time your riding past the Stark St./Burnside intersection, wave to my parents. :)

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Please explain WHY the forks project different lengths above the top tree, AND, why you have them set at shorter than the " available travel length"..... (I assume one is a 750 fork/tube, but the "lowering is excessive, limits suspension cushioning, and could be dangerous.....) ?????????

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ewww.. Good catch, guys. I think I may have missed tightening those down when I reassembled.

Off to fix the problem right now.

----

yikes. That was scary. Thanks for the good eyes, guys! Problem fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Also, what's that large thing on the right side of the rear axle covering the axle nut?

·
Registered
30 Posts
the thing on the rear axle is a prophylactic... you guys need to practice safe riding

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vdubtt said:
the thing on the rear axle is a prophylactic... you guys need to practice safe riding
LOL..

Dunno. That was there when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Wow :!: I think it's great that 66Sprint and MNellis caught the loose forks. All of us make mistakes and it's nice to have somebody checking your work out. "Mr Observant" here was looking at the chrome and the paint job :oops: - you did do a nice job on those.

Larry

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Is that just an old socket that's stuck on the rear axle nut?? If so then you might wanna get it off of there and be sure to use a cotter key to hold the nut in place..

The bike looks great! :D

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay.. You guys have me curious. I'll take a look at it tonight. I showed the pictures to the previous owner, and he loves it.

I guess having those forks lower than they should could explain why it was so easy to drag the footpeg. :shock: I was taking it easy too!

I see there's some dirt on the frame behind the front tire.. Also, the tires need to be cleaned up too. Guys, I swear, the amount of work I did to bring this baby back to life was very minimal. It's like it was in a time machine, or one of those Austin Powers freezers for the last 35 years.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a picture of the thing on the rear axle. It's like hard rubber, which kinda fits with some of the suggestions as to what it is. Notice there is a cotter-key in there.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I guess it's somebodies version of an axle slider then? It honestly serves no purpose cuz that muffler would take the damage, not the axle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
I guess it's somebodies version of an axle slider then? It honestly serves no purpose cuz that muffler would take the damage, not the axle.

It already has..

:cry:

Not by me, mind you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hypothetically speaking, how much would a bike like mine sell for? 8000 orignal miles, very clean, fresh paint, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts