Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And now stops :( The engine started after some initial reluctance, needed some raw fuel in the cylinders. The engine came to life with much smoke and noise, forgot how noisy these are :D the smoke cleared from the right cylinder but persisted on the left in bursts, bit like smoke siginals, so much in fact that a local driving past stopped and came rushing in, thinking there was a fire :lol: :lol:

Anyway the right cylinder didn't settle down :( so after a cup of coffee came the answer, 40 year old valve stem seals :roll: yep after the exhaust came off, you guessed it, right hand exhaust full of unburnt oil and soot. Rotated the engine to get a better look at the valve shaft revealed it coated in oil!

So now the fun begins, replacing the seal with the valve in place and the head on :D :D oh what fun. I've done this before on other engines, so we'll see how i go.
I use an adaptor that i made when i was a young tacker fixing up junkers with no $ to spend. It is simply an (guttered) old spark plug with an adaptor to connect shop air to. When both valves are closed then you apply compressed air and this is enough to keep the valve in place while you replace the seal.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Got a picture of it?
And how is it your engine is so clean (outside anyway :lol: )

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts