Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys got off the fwy shifted down to 2nd from third. Rear tire locked up. Motor still running
Clutch does nothing now.
Rear wheel is locked.
Where do I start ?

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I don't see how the engine can still be running if you are in fact in gear and the wheel is locked as you stated.
More likely it is locked in neutral and something is broken inside.

Aside from checking the obvious things (clutch cable and clutch rod) the only way to know for sure is to open up the crank case and see what's what inside.
You might have a broken gear or broken shifter.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay. so probly right its in neutral.or something is REALLY broken.
Okay thanks for the ideas.
Ill open the clutch side of the case tomorrow
yeah I figured something has to be broken in the case :(

I got lucky and im only a little bruised up...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so.
Prior to this happening.
in the last week. Twice the bike shifted from 2nd back into first on its own when I upshifted.
like 7k rpm 1st. Shift 2nd. It would rev for a moment then drop back into 1st.
only had this issue with this gear change.
*this has been happening for years. but would only happen once in a blue moon. but happened twice last week.

Additonally.
First gear has felt tougher to start in. I thought it was in my head... however I think this may be related.

So...
could stuck clutch plates be the cause of this ? or is this worse than that ?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well....
I know whats wrong....

I lost one lego.... from the lego battery box...
and by some miracle .....
its jammed in the front sproket....
not sure if it didnt any damage.
but we might get off lucky here.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Lego battery box?? i am intreaged ( reaaly must learn how to spell properly ! ).

+
so.
Prior to this happening.
in the last week. Twice the bike shifted from 2nd back into first on its own when I upshifted.
like 7k rpm 1st. Shift 2nd. It would rev for a moment then drop back into 1st.
only had this issue with this gear change.
*this has been happening for years. but would only happen once in a blue moon. but happened twice last week.

Additonally.
First gear has felt tougher to start in. I thought it was in my head... however I think this may be related.

So...
could stuck clutch plates be the cause of this ? or is this worse than that ?

I think you gunna have to look inside this engine/gearbox. Does it jump out of gear and into an other in any other gear?

Last oil change, much "glitter" in the oil dregs and oil filter floor ??

Its always a good idea to inspect the dregs of old engine oil for glitter, a bronzey colour and bits of black stuff.

check in the manual for the "power flow" involved with first and second gears, which gears are involved and which selector forks before you go in. How is the gear escapement and detent mechanism, the double hooks, pins and sprung loaded roller and its cam ???

I assume the small gear lever connected to the gear pedal, and clamped to the gear selection cross shaft, is vertical, which is the sprung loaded mid position. If its not and leaning forward, the small lever can foul the flywheel cover before first gear is properly selected, and, mechanical advantage is reduced if the small lever is leaning backwards.

Grease those nipples, that's why they are there.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this engine is flawless. no flakes at all.
whether locking up totaled the engine it is hard to say yet. im still sore from pushing it home on a dolly. ill check it tomorrow probly

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
I was helping a friend with his 360 and we had it up on my lift.

I dropped one of the Air Cleaner Bolts and couldn't find it I swore I heard it drop thur all the stuff and land on the lift platform but...

When we dropped down the lift and went to roll the bike off it went about 2 feet and locked up. ? ? ?

Turned out that 6 mm bolt dropped right into a link in the chain and it would roll until it came up to the front or rear sprocket then lock up.

He and I were laughing out how long it took us to figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
9,896 Posts
I changed it two months ago- it could use some lube- but everything is so dry and dusty here
So ya gotta lube it more often... hey, chain lube on the bike is better than rust on the chain (or worse, a prematurely worn out chain)

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Consider yourself lucky that the lego piece didn't cause the chain to break. Without a chain guard and going at speed, a broken chain would not be pretty.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Loose something on an aircraft repair, tka eht whole thiong apart until its found!!

Loose something on a bike etc., FIND IT!! you know of murphy's law.

Drop a small nut or washer, it bounces off the bike, hits the frame and heads straight for an open spark plug hole.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts