Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I've been a member here for a long time, but most of my bike experience has been with SOHC4s. Specifically my CB500/4 that has always been my favorite. Over the years I have dragged home a complete but frozen 305 Scambler, a frozen and rusty 305 Superhawk, a bunch of 350 twin stuff, and more recently, two complete but frozen 305 Dreams. I was always really excited about the twins, but several moves, a lack of my own proper shop space, and other projects (my 500, my Transalp, my MG Midget, etc.....) have put those on hold. My dream was always to have my own shop space, and restore one of those old bikes every winter.

Well, this year I finally bought a house of my own, and have begun moving things out of storage and into my own barn, where I will set up a workshop space, and am starting to organize and prepare to tackle these twins! I hope somebody enjoys this post, but honestly it's helpful for me to organize my thoughts. I am not sure what order I will work in, but here are my goals:

The 305 Scrambler: This is complete, and seems to have been stored indoors before I got it, but the engine is stuck, carbs are stuck, even the brakes are frozen, meaning the damn thing doesn't even roll, so every time I move it I have to drag it :)
This is missing the tank badges and knee pads, and I think somebody filled the indentations on the tank. The front fender has also been cut back a bit. But It's all there and my goal is to simply rebuild it. I think I may leave the chopped fender and smooth gas tank, as those seem to have been really common "mods" back in the day. Honestly I can't wait to rip down some rural New England dirt roads on that little thing!

The 305 Superhawk: This was thrown in to sweeten the deal when I picked up the Scrambler so many years ago. It is completely frozen, the exhausts have rotted off, the air filter material has been pilfered by rodents, and it's an extremely ambitious project. Because it's missing some original things, I may fix it up and call it my "cafe" bike?

The 305 Dreams: One of these is a '65 I bought last summer, all there, all stock, but the engine is stuck and the suspension is toast. It needs a complete rebuild. This year I brought home another one that is pretty blue with a red seat, is in better shape, but somebody took the engine out and began disassembling it. I really want to make one good Dream out of the two.

The 350 Twins: I have enough stuff to assemble a 350 cafe/scrambler bike, and still plan to do so. One of my 350 engines seems good enough to try and run. It's free, has compression, and is all there.

So, community, as I collect knowledge and parts to get ready to fix these, here are some things I have been pondering:
1. The 305 engines seem really robust. With roller bearing cranks and cams, and cylinder sleeves and new piston kits available, is there anything that can't be rebuilt in these engines? Am I naive in thinking I can save old engines that have been stuck for decades?

2. I need to establish a relationship with a machine shop who can do pistons, bores, valve jobs, etc. I am in New Hampshire, does anybody know of a business around me? Or do you have a company you ship parts to?

3. I have done top end rebuilds on my 500/4 engines, but have never been brave enough to split cases and take lower ends apart. I wonder if 305 twins are easier to take apart and reassemble....

4. Last year I joined the VJMC. I also purchased and downloaded a huge bunch of reading from Bill Silver. And of course I have been reading forums like this one, and watching relevent youtube videos about these bikes. So I'm trying to gather knowledge and there is a lot out there!

5. The 350 twin is kind of a separate project, but for years I have thought it would be so cool to have a trio of 305s, Scrambler, Superhawk, and Dream! So, in the next couple years, I hope to have all three of those babies up and running. If I build a 350 as well, that makes four (!!!) Honda twins in my fleet. My CB500/4 is not going anywhere, neither are the Transalp or Ducati (until I get tired of it's Italian attitude.) So that is seven freaking bikes if I do keep them all! That's a lot of registrations to keep up with, and really how much will I ride each one? So, I've been thinking maybe I would just pick one or two of the twins per year to keep on the road in addition to my CB500 and Duc, and maybe switch out which twins I keep on the road every year....
I know some of you crazies have a bunch of old bikes on hand. How do you handle it?

Okay, that's my babbling for today. Attached is a picture of the "parking side" of my barn, where these bikes are all tucked in. Also pictured is my Transalp, which really needs a countershaft replaced (big job, haven't been organized to do it yet), a CB500/4 parts skeleton, and my mighty Ducati ST2 that I hardly used this year as it needs some love....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Folks, I've been a member here for a long time, but most of my bike experience has been with SOHC4s. Specifically my CB500/4 that has always been my favorite. Over the years I have dragged home a complete but frozen 305 Scambler, a frozen and rusty 305 Superhawk, a bunch of 350 twin stuff, and more recently, two complete but frozen 305 Dreams. I was always really excited about the twins, but several moves, a lack of my own proper shop space, and other projects (my 500, my Transalp, my MG Midget, etc.....) have put those on hold. My dream was always to have my own shop space, and restore one of those old bikes every winter.

Well, this year I finally bought a house of my own, and have begun moving things out of storage and into my own barn, where I will set up a workshop space, and am starting to organize and prepare to tackle these twins! I hope somebody enjoys this post, but honestly it's helpful for me to organize my thoughts. I am not sure what order I will work in, but here are my goals:

The 305 Scrambler: This is complete, and seems to have been stored indoors before I got it, but the engine is stuck, carbs are stuck, even the brakes are frozen, meaning the damn thing doesn't even roll, so every time I move it I have to drag it :)
This is missing the tank badges and knee pads, and I think somebody filled the indentations on the tank. The front fender has also been cut back a bit. But It's all there and my goal is to simply rebuild it. I think I may leave the chopped fender and smooth gas tank, as those seem to have been really common "mods" back in the day. Honestly I can't wait to rip down some rural New England dirt roads on that little thing!

The 305 Superhawk: This was thrown in to sweeten the deal when I picked up the Scrambler so many years ago. It is completely frozen, the exhausts have rotted off, the air filter material has been pilfered by rodents, and it's an extremely ambitious project. Because it's missing some original things, I may fix it up and call it my "cafe" bike?

The 305 Dreams: One of these is a '65 I bought last summer, all there, all stock, but the engine is stuck and the suspension is toast. It needs a complete rebuild. This year I brought home another one that is pretty blue with a red seat, is in better shape, but somebody took the engine out and began disassembling it. I really want to make one good Dream out of the two.

The 350 Twins: I have enough stuff to assemble a 350 cafe/scrambler bike, and still plan to do so. One of my 350 engines seems good enough to try and run. It's free, has compression, and is all there.

So, community, as I collect knowledge and parts to get ready to fix these, here are some things I have been pondering:
1. The 305 engines seem really robust. With roller bearing cranks and cams, and cylinder sleeves and new piston kits available, is there anything that can't be rebuilt in these engines? Am I naive in thinking I can save old engines that have been stuck for decades?

2. I need to establish a relationship with a machine shop who can do pistons, bores, valve jobs, etc. I am in New Hampshire, does anybody know of a business around me? Or do you have a company you ship parts to?

3. I have done top end rebuilds on my 500/4 engines, but have never been brave enough to split cases and take lower ends apart. I wonder if 305 twins are easier to take apart and reassemble....

4. Last year I joined the VJMC. I also purchased and downloaded a huge bunch of reading from Bill Silver. And of course I have been reading forums like this one, and watching relevent youtube videos about these bikes. So I'm trying to gather knowledge and there is a lot out there!

5. The 350 twin is kind of a separate project, but for years I have thought it would be so cool to have a trio of 305s, Scrambler, Superhawk, and Dream! So, in the next couple years, I hope to have all three of those babies up and running. If I build a 350 as well, that makes four (!!!) Honda twins in my fleet. My CB500/4 is not going anywhere, neither are the Transalp or Ducati (until I get tired of it's Italian attitude.) So that is seven freaking bikes if I do keep them all! That's a lot of registrations to keep up with, and really how much will I ride each one? So, I've been thinking maybe I would just pick one or two of the twins per year to keep on the road in addition to my CB500 and Duc, and maybe switch out which twins I keep on the road every year....
I know some of you crazies have a bunch of old bikes on hand. How do you handle it?

Okay, that's my babbling for today. Attached is a picture of the "parking side" of my barn, where these bikes are all tucked in. Also pictured is my Transalp, which really needs a countershaft replaced (big job, haven't been organized to do it yet), a CB500/4 parts skeleton, and my mighty Ducati ST2 that I hardly used this year as it needs some love....

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Most garages look similar it seems. Have fun in your new place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts