Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is hopefully another case of me being dumb, but I'll prefer to be dumb and eventually learn something than major bike problems.

1970 cb350
7,300 miles
Shorty slash cut mufflers
UNI pod filters
Antigravity 4 cell battery

I set valve clearance, cam chain, and moved to my points. A few weeks ago, I had it all prepared; but my timing light started to fade and my battery was low. I picked up an optimate lithium charger.

With a fully charged battery, I attempted this again, but I couldn't get my test light to turn on even with the points all the way open. I thought it was my condenser. I picked up a new one. No luck.

I read another member had the same problem and someone asked if the kill switch was in the, "OFF" position. Mine was. I turned that on and my test light came on.

I resumed testing my left point, but while adjusting within that threshold, the point would spark. I understand, that while operating, points spark. Yes, but while setting the timing? Am I doing something wrong?

Also, my battery is hooked up to the charger during this. I even disconnected it and I got the same result. I put my original condenser back on, same result. Please help.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
That's normal, any time the points break contact a spark occurs. Back in my Honda shop days we never bothered to hook up a light bulb to set the points, just listened/watched for a spark while turning the rotor slowly past the timing marks. Never heard of the light bulb thing until I started visiting this website.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, you made my night! Too bad I already put everything away in my garage. I'll get back at it tomorrow.

Thank you again. I was worried something was shorted, but it made since they would spark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts