Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of powering on the bike (CB350) to do the points timing with a test light, would it be possible to unplug the point wire from the harness and connect it directly to the battery for testing? To avoid heating up the coils?

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
And then run the risk of burning the points? That's direct faulting the battery to the frame which means all the amperage from the battery gets routed through the points.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured it wouldn't be that simple, ok ty.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
It is simple. Just connect one end of your test light to the positive battery terminal and the other end to the unplugged wire, all the battery will do is power the test light.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is simple. Just connect one end of your test light to the positive battery terminal and the other end to the unplugged wire, all the battery will do is power the test light.
And I don't need to turn on the bike? The test light should come on when the points fire?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Actually when using the test light that way, the timing is set to where the points open and the light goes out.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok cool, so I can spare the coils while I do this if I am following right. This makes more sense as someone mentioned using a powered test light.

Would a good powered multimeter also work? I have one of those and pretty much only use it to test battery voltage , million other settings on the thing.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
If you have a multimeter, set it to ohms (to measure continuity) connect to the points wire and to ground. It will read open circuit when the points open.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I made a test light that has its own battery and just hook it across the points. It allows me to set timing with motor out of the frame.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
The POINTS are nothing more than a SWITCH that turns - ON Power to the coils and when that Power is TURNED - OFF the Field collapses and the Charged Coil - Discharges via the Spark Plug.

You can use a Multi-Meter, Test Light (powered to the battery) or a Self Powered Test Light.

All you are doing is finding that EXACT Point where the Points go from Closed to OPEN.

Reactions: Bill H

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Using a multimeter where would you connect both leads for testing?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If you wish to use your multimeter as a continuity tester, do the following:

Set the meter to "Ohms".

Disconnect the wire from the coil at the points.

Connect one meter lead to the points where you disconnected the coil.

Connect the other meter lead to ground.

When the points are closed the meter should read near zero resistance.

As you turn the crankshaft in its normal direction of rotation, the points will open and the meter will read infinite resistance. That spot should correlate with the timing mark on the flywheel.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TY. When i dig the shed clear in the spring I will take some pics that might help someone clueless like me in the future.

·
Registered
101 Posts
One thing about using a bulb is that it is much easier to see when it comes on/goes off. You don't have to look at it and can focus on the timing marks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts