Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to set the floats on my 73 CL350 and can't seem to get them where they need to be. Depending on where they're set, there's either a steady stream pouring out the overflow, a slow drip, or no gas at all going into the carb. My question is, is there supposed to be a little drippage, or is there a "perfect" setting where the carb is getting plenty of flow, but the level in the bowl does not reach the overflow port? I've been trying to find the perfect setting, but I'm getting pretty frustrated.

·
Registered
363 Posts
there should be no overflow, perhaps there is something wrong with your float needles, dirty, sticky, leaky... could be sunk floats....

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Well, they may be, but you're still going to have to find the problem.

The floats and needles together are supposed to (and will) work perfectly to continuously maintain the level of fuel at whatever level you set throughout the entire engine operating range, with NO overflow, no drips, and no fuel starvation.

The float needle, when open, is supposed to flow more fuel than the engine is supposed to be capable of burning, so that the carbs should never run dry even at sustained very high rpm running.

The float needle, when closed, is supposed to completely seal off against incoming fuel so the fuel level doesn't rise to the overflow point.

So, long story short, something is wrong in the float, the float needle, the float needle seat or the overflow tube.

:cool:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Just to be sure, what setting are you using as spec? (there were several, depending on engine serial number) ... a "normal" 1973 K4 would be set at 26mm... You don't "find" the setting, you set them to spec..... If they don't work properly at that spec, replace the needle and seat AS A UNIT.... Swapping/mixing internals from carb to carb can cause this type of malfunctions.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's probably my problem - I'm trying to "trial and error" it, rather than make the credit card gauge and set them. May have some crud in there too - I was working on it this weekend and had some rust flakes show up. By the way, what's the difference bewteeen a K4 and a K5?

Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The K4/K5 difference would be primarily serial number....The float specs are 26mm on every CB/CL after serial # -1065279....which was somewhere in the mid/late K1 production run.....
SL carbs are different....K0 at 26,....K1, K2 are set at 25mm......

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
The KO with rectangular floats is 19. Here's the chart.
Also, many bikes have had their carbs swapped out for a later version. Check the mark on your carb. Don't just go by the year your bike is supposed to be.
Edy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
if you have contaminants in your fuel you'll never get this sorted...the rust and dirt will continue to get stuck in your inlet valve and cause them to not seal properly.

clean & line the tank and install inline fuel filters with new fuel hose...then go back to sorting out the float hight. begin by recleaning everything and setting float hight to spec. if you have good properly set floats and have ensured a clean fuel supply and you still have problems then you need to replace the inlet valves and needles. buy the OEM Honda ones...they are still available from Honda and are worth the extra money.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
bend the tab that touches the inlet valve (needle)

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '72 CB350. I could not get the overflow to stop no matter the float setting. And I checked everything...yeah sure I did.
I did float adjustments on and off the bike, with my card (actually a bondo [email protected] 26mm) and with out to no avail.
There can only be on place for the fuel to come from the stand pipe in the bowl right? Ther eis a little hole and when the fuel reaches it overboard it goes right?
Well if the bike was up north (I'm not) it is possible water has frozen in the stand pipe and split it or created a crack.

Ask me how I know... both bowls the same [attachment=0:2w00xun5]DSCF2745a.jpg[/attachment:2w00xun5] as this... no float adjust will help this leak (except full closed).

I'll fix with some hobby brass tubing and have good bowls again.
Hope this helps since no one has mentioned the possibility of not being the float setting.
Larz

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Cracked overflow tubes seem to be somewhat common. They are always worth a careful inspection when doing rebuild. Your can frequently just solder them to repair. You don't normally need to sleeve it with additional tubing. If you do check to make sure it will clear the JET Holder Spring there is a slot it needs to clear in order to reassemble the float bowl.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Thx Yendor-
I'll remove mine and use new tubing in place of the old because I considered the clearance possibilities. A small touch of JB should secure nicely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts